Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Is this new? What does it do?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 246

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
(funny, i pressed the quit button in the update pane after i was done reading...)

I've never heard of the intermediate codec....

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
pdpfilms said:
(funny, i pressed the quit button in the update pane after i was done reading...)

I've never heard of the intermediate codec....

new with Tiger i would imagine. intermediate.. meaning maybe in between coreimage/corevideo and the codec?

Applespider

macrumors G4
pdpfilms said:

Me three... :eek:

This isn't showing up on my software update (nothing has yet in Tiger) but I did find it on the Apple site along with this update for the Pro Apps

Pro Application Support 3.0 (Mac OS X 10.4)
This update improves general user interface reliability for Apple’s professional applications. It is recommended for all users of DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Motion and Sountrack.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
DXoverDY said:
new with Tiger i would imagine. intermediate.. meaning maybe in between coreimage/corevideo and the codec?
Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) is what HDV is transcoded to on-the-fly when importing into iMovie 5 and FCE 3 (iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD).

It's slightly bigger (file-size wise) than DV but it's a bit smaller (file-size wise) than DVCProHD. The resulting files are a little over 2x bigger than the native HDV that's on the tape.

AIC is a compromise between bandwidth and quality.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Rod Rod said:
Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) is what HDV is transcoded to on-the-fly when importing into iMovie 5 and FCE 3 (iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD).

It's slightly bigger (file-size wise) than DV but it's a bit smaller (file-size wise) than DVCProHD. The resulting files are a little over 2x bigger than the native HDV that's on the tape.

AIC is a compromise between bandwidth and quality.

Rod Rod, since you seem to know what you're talking about, why would they use something that's twice the file size than the original HDV? Is it due to HD requirements on processors?

I installed it regardless, and am really curious why iTunes 4.8 hasn't shown up yet.
-Chase

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
rendezvouscp said:
Rod Rod, since you seem to know what you're talking about, why would they use something that's twice the file size than the original HDV? Is it due to HD requirements on processors?

I installed it regardless, and am really curious why iTunes 4.8 hasn't shown up yet.
-Chase
It's because AIC is easier on the CPU than the native HDV (MPEG2 transport stream).

For a parallel example, H.264 HD video will play back choppy on a 1GHz PowerBook. However, using QT Pro and exporting the file to DVCProHD will give you a file that plays back with no dropped frames. The file itself will be way bigger than what you started with, of course.

FCP 5 has native HDV support but it requires some serious hardware for any sort of realtime effects in that codec - more so than DVCProHD (the Dynamic RT will help for lower-powered systems, of course).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.