New Indiana Jones Movie In 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Jan 3, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

LOS ANGELES (Jan. 2) - Nineteen years after chasing down the Holy Grail in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," Harrison Ford will return to the big screen in the character of the globe-trotting archeologist in May 2008.

Producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg confirmed details of the project Monday after Lucas tipped off the media to Indiana Jones' imminent return as he prepared to serve as grand marshal of the Rose Parade in Pasadena.

After years spent in script development, a fourth installment of the hit franchise is set to begin production in June in locations around the world and in the United States. It will mark Spielberg's next directorial outing.

"George, Harrison and I are all very excited," Spielberg said. "We feel that the script was well worth the wait. We hope it delivers everything you'd expect from our history with Indiana Jones."

In a statement, 64-year-old Ford said he was ready for another action-packed turn. "I'm delighted to be back in business with my old friends," he said. "I don't know if the pants still fit, but I know the hat will."

Added Lucas: "These films are such great fun to make. I'm looking forward to reuniting with the team and starting this new journey."

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

New Indiana Jones, does this mean they'll have to do a remake of Indiana Joan?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I wish I knew the plot because I don't think that Harrison Ford can move as fast as he used too.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If it's like the first, then well and good. If it's like the second, maybe not so and I'm sure that Harrison Ford will also not look 64 years old on screen. Other articles I've read have mentioned that the script is quite self-deprecating about Indy's age, so expect him to be put through the mill. :)

If Spielberg can resist bloat, sentimentality and the childish eww factor, then it may be worth a watch. Also, just as important is the female lead IMO. Karen Allen was excellent; Kate Capshaw less so.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im sure the female lead will be a cute 20 something. They need a reason to market it.

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

The only concern with self-deprecation is that they already went that route with the last crusade and Sean Connery. Be interesting to see if they bring him back.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Connery has said that he's done with acting, but money talks so we will see.

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen kind of did it for him, plus he's looking very frail at the moment...

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

As long as it's nothing like the temple of doom I'll be relitively happy.

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Hard to imagine a post-Sean Connery acting world. It's not that his body of work is so impressive, but more the fact that it seems he has always been there. I'm not certain, but I believe I saw him in a silent film the other night. That or the sound on my TV was muted...

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So first there's Rocky 6, then news of another Rambo, and now this? Someone tell Sean Connery to get his lazy ass back into that tux and be 007 again.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

this is going to be a crock of crap.

in the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade he AND Sean Connery became IMMORTAL.

They should not age, or look any different than they did at the end of the movie.

I doubt Harrison Ford wants to look young again by having hours of makeup done.

Any story Spielberg can barf up, is going to be full of holes and another craptacular blockbuster.

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

But Speilberg doesn't write these stories - just directs them...

THis is the one where they dig up fossils of themselves...;)

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'll go see it regardless of the reviews. And I don't know if anyone else appreciated Rocky Balboa (6), but I found it surprisingly good. However, I'm not interested in seeing Connery, ever again, as 007.

15. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

"Imminent return"?...in 2008? S. Connery could be dead by then (knock on wood)
    But, anyway...I welcome more in the series. Hollywood seems to be having big trouble creating interesting movies of any kind.

16. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I think you may have missed the point - they could only remain immortal in the cave on the guardian knight's side of the seal. That's why the knight was still alive - when the bad guy crosses the seal with the Grail in hand, the deal is broken (hence the earthquake/explosions/clouds of dust etc).

17. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Connery has been quoted as saying that he'd definitely do it, despite his retirement. Safe to assume that he won't have as big a role this time though.

There are also rumors of cameos by Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw.

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i dont think so.

it was something along the lines of "the grail must not pass the great seal" or something. which led to the explosions and dust to keep the grail where it should be.

it had nothing to do with he who drank from the cup and the "powers" granted.

really wouldnt make much sense to have this grand quest for the holy grail only to end up having to take the place of the guy who guarded it for centuries? what a friggen bummer.

maybe im missing something?

19. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Make for a short, uneventful movie. Course HF wouldn't have to worry about the action sequences...

20. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I think you're still missing it. After Indy drank from the correct grail, the old knight explained:

You have chosen... wisely. But, beware: the Grail cannot pass beyond the Great Seal, for that is the boundry, and the price, of immortality.

(quoted from IMDB)

In other words, you have to have the grail to be immortal, and since you can't leave the sanctum without the grail, you can only live forever if you stay there. The knight also implies this when he first meets Indy and is "vanquished." The knight hands Indy his sword and tells him that he passes the honor of protecting the grail to him. (Indy shakes his head and is about to explain the situation when Donovan and the other baddies arrive in the chamber.) The knight has only lived to be so old because he stayed there with the grail. He actually seems eager to die and finally be relieved of his duty. The look on his face as Indy and the others escape is one of resignation.

Also, the legend that Indy and Donovan relate early in the film has the knight's other brothers leaving the sanctum at some point centuries later and soon dying of old age.

OK, so there's no point in denying my Indy geekhood at this point. :rolleyes:

21. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yeah, I heard the working title is:

Indiana Jones: Curse of the Retirement Home

:D

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It would be great to Karen Allen again. I just hope that he doesn't try to get a part for his current girlfriend.

23. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

what I want to know is, how are they going to work in the nazi angle? The last film was set in, what, 1937 or 1938? So are we looking at 1944 maybe, or are we doing away with the nazis altogether and focusing on a different nemesis?

The Temple of Doom sure did suck. Really uncompelling bad guys in that one.

what would be nice is to have an apocalyptic flavor to this one, rather like the first one had i.e. Ark Of The Covenant + Nazis = wholesale slaughter of mankind. The 2nd one didn't have even a touch of this, and the third (while being pretty good) didn't really have it either. The Holy Grail isn't much of a weapon...

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I heard it was going to be set in the 50s actually...

I'm looking forward to it - I liked the first and third films, and parts of the second. But then again I have unusual movie taste.

25. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183