New installed widgets don't show up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xenious, May 4, 2005.

1. Xenious macrumors 6502a

When I download new widgets they are being placed in my homefolder/library/widgets folder. When I display the dashboard they are not shown. I can double click the widget file and it will open an instance of the widget. I noticed the OS keeps the main widgets in /libary/widgets. Any idea why the ones in my home folder library are not showing up? This is frustrating...

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

There's a few ways that might help Dashboard recognize the new widgets. Try these things, from easiest to hardest (or most time consuming).

1) Open the Dashboard tray and click on the arrows on either side of it if there are arrows (as if to go to other pages). This should refresh the tray and allow you to access new widgets.

2) Open the Terminal and type "killall Dock" in order to restart the Dock, which restarts Dashboard.

3) Log out, and log back in through the Apple menu.

4) Restart your Mac.

I hope these help!
    -Chase

3. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bingo! "killall Dock" did it. I didn't know which proc to kill to restart it. Many many thanks! :)

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, if you don't have many widgets you have to restart the dock to see the new ones. I did this by causing Dashboard/dock to crash by clicking on the widget bar, accidently. Once the dock reloaded the new widgets were available.

Not the most intuitive way to load new widgets.

5. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

when you download a new widget it gets placed in your private library...move it to your system library...works for me, but then again what do I know :)

If don't want everyone using your widgets then do the killall dock. ;)