New Installer!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Vlade, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I am working on a new installer for Folding@Home to release all over the net to get us more contributers. I have included a screenshot at the bottom of the screen

I have all the scripts setup and ready to go, but I have a few questions to get it working

1. In mc68ks script it uses this command ./fah4 -local -configonly, is there a way to get that to install without asking for the users information, so I can set that later?

2. If I have 2 varaibles for team and username, how can I write those to the folding@home prefs, or actually what is the folding@home prefs?

3. This doesn't work in my cocoa app, what should it be? Is that the right way to launch a script?

PHP:
    NSTask *theTask = [[NSTask allocinit];
    [
    theTask setLaunchPath:@"/Volumes/folding/.setup/script1.command"];
    [
    theTask launch];

Hopefully I will get this working soon

Attached Files:

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it looks cool, but I have no clue on how to help you on the technical aspects. just make sure it's EULA compliant.
    Is it specific for the console client or does it let the user choose which one to run?

3. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Its console. The eula will be included in the read me page.

Hopefully I can get some help on this, I know that there are some unix folders here. I think unix is really cool, and I like learning it :)

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Looking good Vlade, keep up the good work! what other features are on your little app? Does it include completion of work unit, the processorpower it utilizes, etc.? Tell us more!!!

5. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Its going to be like mc68ks script, just an easy way to instal folding@home. I may add more features later, but for now it will just be a simple app. No release date yet, it may take a while because it will be done in my spare time and I have real programming stuff for money to do.

6. jbeetz macrumors member

You might want to check with mc to be sure, but I believe that all of the user configuration stuff is kept in a file called client.cfg. The -configonly call may be done in order to set up all of the various folders and files on the initial run as I don't believe they are part of the download. If this is true (mc runs the -configonly to setup files and folders including client.cfg) you might be able to set them up in your cocoa app by yourself. Look at a brand new STANFORD install to see what ends up in the Folding@home folder after you run -configonly and duplicate that. My guess is that you can then write directly to client.cfg with the new parameters (username and team number) but I haven't tried it personally. For #3 you'll need to find out from mc what he's doing in script1.command.

7. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Thanks, I know know what to do for number 1 and 2, and number 3 is just a syntax thing, I will ask at another forum if no-one answers here at MR in a day or two.