new instant messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toby Goodbar, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i need a new instant messenger and am looking for recommendations. i am using adium so i can talk to friends on all tha major networks and i like it except i can't recieve pictures. and c'mon! who doesn't wanna trade pix of T&A or cars with his boys?

can anyone recommend something like adium that suports sending pictures? thanx guys.

2. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

my friends send me files through adium

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

no no! i know how to send file through adium, but i want to recieve pictures through it. i can send them but not see what i sent nor see what is sent

4. Pili macrumors regular

I know at least with aim, you can just drag a picture into the message window and it will be in the message lines versus sending a file and having to have them open it. Dunno if thats exactly what you mean.

5. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

iChat then.

I think Adium and iChat are really the only two good supporting apps for AIM........ anyone else know of anymore?

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

thas exactly what i mean but i like adium because i can talk to everyone on different networks with only one app open. not ta mention the great GUI. it just really sucks i don't have that drag n drop function anymore. its wierd tho b/c you can use drag n drop to send and THEY get it but i cant see it or what they send ME............anyone else know of any more apps?

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Ummmm turn auto recieve files on. People send me pictures all the time in adium.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yeah I only use iChat and Adium. Because the iChat transfer is so slow, i like to use adium. Sometimes its a pain, but in the end whatever gets the job done is fine with me

9. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

do they come in thru tha window like aim or do they get sent as a file? b/c i just tried experimenting with those settings and it ain't make a difference as far as recieving a pic in tha text box.

my aim s/n TobyGoodbar if you care to contact me there and see if we can figure this out.....

10. rock6079 macrumors 6502

hmm, i know adium doesnt support video chat but i certainly send files (including pics) back and forth to friends all the time!

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think he means he wants them inline in the message window. Do Proteus or Fire do this?

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You can send/receive inline pictures with Adium. Make sure you're using the latest version.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you talking about 1.0 beta?

14. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

ARE you talking about beta b/c i have tha most updated official release.... i've been over tha menus compulsively, but i'm starting to feel like i'm missing a setting. this option is working for you guys or what?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think this is a feature in 0.89....

16. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

well just downloaded tha beta cuz this issue really been getting under my skin. and it seems to be working but i'm not positive. i sent tha pic to myself and where NOTHING used to come up but a timestamp, i'm getting the picture in tha sent box but not the recieved box. which would make sense being that i'm both tha sender/recipient but i won't know for sure till somebody signs on that i can test with.

17. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yeah, this absolutely works in 1.0b15. Just drag and drop the pic you want to send to someone into their IM box. For Windows users, tell them to direct connect (images) with you, where they can then send you images through the chat window, and you'll also receive them in the chat window.

Easy!

18. Stevez0r macrumors member

Just downloaded Adium but it's 0.89.1 not 1.0. I try to update but it says I have the current version.

19. amfr macrumors member

You should try just the regular aim app for macs, it should show a preview of the pictures.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They're talking about Adium 1.0 betas....

21. Stevez0r macrumors member

So when all the bugs are gone it should up date properly?

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, 1.0 should ultimately be an official release, when it's done. So when you click on the "check for updates" or go to the main adium download page at that time, yes, you would get 1.0....

23. 2fives macrumors regular

This was just the thread I was looking for. New to OS X and I was using MSN messenger, but really wanted something more MAC.

24. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

No you shouldn't. Worst piece of outdated software on the mac. It's not universal either, and crashes every five minutes.

25. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

i've gotten a chance to use tha beta with people on yahoo AND aim and aim wouldn't work at all, and yahoo was iffy.

what are you guys experiencing?
    when you send pix does it show up in YOUR window too?