New Intel chips sooner? Worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scott523, Sep 19, 2006.

1. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I'm considering in getting a MacBook but I've heard many problems from it so I'm thinking of waiting.

I came across this link just now and with this info, is it worth the wait? It's only 3-4 months away and Apple might take a stab at it (in January 2007) with the addition the soon released Leopard.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

There is no Quad-core chips for the mobile segment in any of Intel's processor road maps.

If you need it I would go ahead and buy it now.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

you can wait forever for the next best thing..

in the meantime, i am loving my blackbook and it's problem free, fast, and absolutely gorgeous.

don't pay so much attention to the "omg my macbook sux!!!1!1" threads - yes, those people did have problems, but the vast majority bought their macbooks, had no issues, loved them, and felt no reason to post about it.

that said: as the rule goes, if you can wait, wait. if you need it now, buy it now.

4. scott523 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hehe that's only part of the article, the second part is regarding the new mobile processors. :D

Hehe, I can wait but I'd prefer spending $2,000 of stuff (graduation present) to last up to 3 years. :eek:

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's just some Ultra-Low power parts.

Would you really be satisfied with a 1.33Ghz or 1.50Ghz chip?

It would probably be great in an ultra-portable but I don't see it in a revised MacBook. The current chips would be faster.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

That article says nothing about quad mobile chips. It says they will be introducting low voltage Core 2 Duos. Again nothing about quad mobile chips.

7. scott523 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, first part was about quad core for desktops, second part is low voltage dual core processors being released in Jan 2007. I never said anything about quad mobile chips (we all wish). :rolleyes:

I don't know if the low voltage, low clockspeed, dual core processors would benefit a MacBook (doubt it) but it can be an option for Apple. After giving it a little thought, Meroms could out perform the new 'Santa Rosa' processors. :confused:

8. Silentwave macrumors 68000

santa rosa is the name of the new chipset/processor/wireless platform, replacing the existing Napa platform. The new chipset is called Crestline, the processor is STILL codename Merom, but with an 800 MT/S FSB and a new socket.

the LV/ULV chips are always going to be a step down in performance versus the full scale line.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you need your computer now, then buy one. Odds are you won't get a defective machine, and those odds are fairly heavily in your favor. As for an update on the Macbooks...I wouldn't hold my breath.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, I think you were a little confused...ULV processors will not be an upgrade to current Meroms. They will be for things like ultrathin tablets and subnotebooks. Once the Merom appears in the Macbook, I say get one because that will be the best thing in notebooks for awhile.