New Intel iMac: USB Keyboard & Mighty Mouse Freeze

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by superleccy, May 12, 2006.

1. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Hi all

Upon my reccomendation, my Father has switched to a new 17" Intel iMac.

He's just finding his feet, but every now and again (it's happened 5 or 6 times so far and he's only had it 24 hours), the USB mouse and USB keyboard go dead. Everything else seems OK (including the Apple Remote), but the mouse and keyboard give absolutely no response. BTW, the red light under the mouse stays ON.

He fixes it by unplugging & replugging the mouse from one USB port to another, which makes it fine again... until next time.

He's using the standard keyboard and mighty mouse (no bluetooth). He plugs the mouse into the USB ports on the keyboard. He's running 10.4.4. The reason he's not upgraded to 10.4.6 yet is because he's doesn't have an Internet connection yet (he's waiting for the broadband people to get their act together).

The real problem is that I live 200 miles away so I haven't actually seen the problem. It might be something simple he's doing wrong (he's never used a Mac before), or there could be something wrong with the hardware or OS.

Has anyone suffered a similar problem? Is it a known bug? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks very much in advance.
    SL

2. superleccy thread starter macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Ahem. Seek and ye shall find.

Here. Here. Here. Here. Here.

So things to try...
    1) Update to 10.4.6
    2) Try the Apple "Keyboard and Mouse Update"
    3) Get Apple (or the retailer) to replace the keyboard and/or mouse
    4) Get Apple (or the retailer) to replace the whole thing

Grrr. I hope it's not 3 or 4.

Apologies
    Superleccy

Edit: Did 1&2... it seems to have fixed it.