New Intel iMacs and PPC games

Discussion in 'Games' started by tinydancer, Jan 21, 2006.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I play MOH SH online all the time. Am I correct in my understanding that if I were to but a new iMac, I would still be able to play SH, but it would be running through Rossetta? I have a 1ghz iMac G4. Will the performace drop in having to run MOH through Rossetta be equivilant to running MOH on my G4, or worse? Will Aspyr re-releae these games with new code for Intel, or is there another solution? I want a new faster iMac , but I would hate to lose anymore performance. As we all know Mac gameing is not the fastest as is. What do we do with all these old PPC games?

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

No one knows how performance will be in PPC games under Rosetta until someone tries that particular games. Some people have mentioned that Halo and WoW run surprisingly well, however UT2k4 runs poorly.

As for support, i am pretty sure that 99% of current PPC games will NOT have an intel binary, simply because its a lot of work and not worth it. The only games to receive Intel support will be the ones that are pay2play (world of warcraft), and hopefully most games releases from this point on. Also, supposedly UT2k4 will have an intel binary sometime in the future. Other than that, don't count on it.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, PPC games run like crap on Intels (I saw benchmark of UT2004 on new iMac - it ran @ 8 fps!!! :thumbsdown: )

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Although (as the guy above me said), some games run relativly well (AMD64 3200+ OCd to 2.2Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, X550 256 OCd to over X600 speeds, 74GB Raptor boot disk w/ 200GB 8MB SATA storage :D), but UT04 (amongst others) runs kinda crap

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The more I think about buying an Intel Mac, the more it seems like a bad idea until the majority of the big apps have been compiled as Universals. That means Adobe, Microsoft, Maxon (for me), Native Instruments, Aspyr, etc. and it seems like it could be quite a while until that happens. So as much as I'd like a new iMac or MacBook Pro, I think I'll be waiting until later this year at the earliest to make the move. If all you do is run iLife apps and Safari then I'd recommend it, otherwise wait it out.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I wonder will they update the old sims like Superstar & Vacation. They'll probably update the Sims 2 wont they?:eek:

7. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'd say most current games that are still selling well have a good chance of seeing an Intel version released, but I wouldn't count on many doing it. If any company will do it, it will be Blizzard, they are pretty loyal to the Mac.

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I read an inteview where the Sims is a top priority since they sell so well and have so many expansion packs.

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

From what I've read UT2004 runs exceptionally bad, but lots of other games run pretty bearably. I think it has to do w/ UT being a pretty CPU-bound game, while lots of other games, ie games based on the Quake 3 engine are a lot more OpenGL and GPU oriented. This obviously helps a lot since the new MacTels have pretty damn good GPUs. I think MOH is built on the Quake 3 engine and should perform acceptably.

10. louis_sx macrumors regular

Won't be Blizzard (outside of WoW):

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=6836

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Any Intel Mac should be fast enough to run Starcraft, Warcraft II, or Diablo2 under Rosetta emulation. These games all ran well on my old 400 MHz G3 PowerBook with a crappy video card, so any Intel Mac should have more than enough to make up the difference in speed lost due to Rosetta. Dunno about Warcraft III, that's probably the one Blizzard game (other than WoW which will be native) that I'd worry about the performance of.

12. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Yeah, the Intel Macs are more Future-Proof, but not quite Now-Proof :)

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Nah, Warcraft III is old. It runs on OS 9, that's how old it is. :) It has a 400MHz G3 requirement. Rosetta isn't what some people were hyped into thinking, but it's not that bad....

--Eric