new intel macs but old apps

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoran, Jan 11, 2006.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

What happens with the perforrmance of the older apps, Pshop, Illu etc when running on an Intel iMac?

2. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Steve Jobs demo'd MS Office and Photoshop, both of which were PPC apps running on Intel.

MS Office seemed to be very smooth - same kind of responsiveness as on my Mac mini. SJ opinioned that performance was good.

Photoshop took a few seconds to load and suffered some minor redraw lagging. He didn't try anything too compute intensive (such as applying a filter). Again I would say it was about the same responsiveness as on my Mac mini (judging from the video). SJ opinioned that it was acceptable for occasional use but not really appropriate for full-time professional work and I would agree. Just as you wouldn't want to use a Mac mini for professional Photoshop work, you probably wouldn't want to use the MacBook or iMac Core Duo just yet.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

ok the demo shows that thay work but do the work as fast as before intel macs? or will they be needing optimising?

4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

They will need to be made universal binaries. The Microsoft lady on the Keynote said that it would be provided via free updates for MS Office and Messenger.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

and as for Adobe, Macromedia and Quark etc.??

6. Morn macrumors 6502

In order to have them run you need software to emulate a G4 processor, it does take a speed toll. We don't know how much yet, no websites benchmarked it.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Put it this way, if you make a living on Photoshop, it would be wise to wait until June.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

9. iGary Guest

iGary

World Wide Developer Conference

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

11. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Steve mentioned Quark specifically in the Keynote as being ready out in the booths.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Basically by then more things should be available as universal binaries. Right now it's pretty much just Apple software, and not even Apple's pro apps.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think that was only for the beta version.

14. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

then whats the use of apple shipping intel imacs,macbooks etc. if universal apps arent ready yet?