New Intel PowerMacs quad-core? 2x4...or 8 cores total?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hh83917, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Imagine the performance of a 100 core chip.:eek: It's inevitable that quad cores will become common but I think it will be a little while before we see them in Powermacs. I think the cost would be to high considering most apps aren't ready for 4 processors yet.
  2. verb macrumors member

Jan 30, 2004
    Better yet, a beowolf cluster of quad 100 core chip machines :eek: :eek: :eek:

The quad, dual-core system I'm using now (I call it "Eight is Enough") is so fast I'm surfing Sunday's MacRumor's page. I don't want to give anything away, but it's is going to be a big day.
  3. p:ro macrumors member

Feb 4, 2006
    Quad PowerPC G5 with 8 cores.........

I got lost there bigtime! What were you trying to say ?

a.) Powermac Quad has 8 cores ? - wrong
    b.) 8 cores per system is enough ? - ?

Hope at least that if you really spent so much money on a Quad that you filled it up with Ram and a Ati X850 XT or nVidia 7800 GT... :cool: your browser loads even faster!

Quad with 1 Gb & nVidia 6600 can't be enough!
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    It's a joke Joyce.
  5. p:ro macrumors member

Feb 4, 2006

I know that he was sarcastic, but I was sarcastic too.

The Sony PS3 will have 8 cores...

A fast Intel Quad

Quad 64-bit Intel® Xeon® Processor 7040 at 3.0 GHz | 2x2MB L2 cache | 667FSB | Dual-Core

Price for Processors upgrade ONLY!!! at Dell +CHF 31'470.00 (swissFrancs)

Can't be much more expensive :cool: || I hope someone runs X-Bench on those systems...
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    the ps3 has one in order crummy ass powerpc core and 7 SPE's (one redundant) which are basically really wide altivec units, to say it's an 8 core cpu is akin to calling the G4 a tri core cpu (powerpc+ 2x altivec units)
  7. p:ro macrumors member

Feb 4, 2006

Yeah "8 Cores" is maybe the wrong term for 1 PowerPC Processing Element (PPE) and 7 The Synergistic Processing Element (SPE)... Nevertheless "Crummy Ass PowerPC with a bunch of altivecs ?" :cool:

"the result is a processing core that operates at a high frequency with relatively low power consumption, and perhaps relatively poorer scalar performance compared to the beefy POWER5 processor core"

dual quadcore & CELL |||||| 2 different philosophies

quadcore chip - still don't know what price that chip will target ... holy cow
  8. jacobj macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Intel are pushing multi-core processors a lot at the moment and I believe Vista will support multi-cores, so the drive from these two big guys may well push developers down the same route... let's hope so...
  9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Um, Windows 2000 already supports multicore just fine. IIRC Win2k server supports up to 32 processors...