Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Imagine the performance of a 100 core chip.:eek: It's inevitable that quad cores will become common but I think it will be a little while before we see them in Powermacs. I think the cost would be to high considering most apps aren't ready for 4 processors yet.

verb

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
Josh396 said:
Imagine the performance of a 100 core chip.:eek:

Better yet, a beowolf cluster of quad 100 core chip machines :eek: :eek: :eek:

The quad, dual-core system I'm using now (I call it "Eight is Enough") is so fast I'm surfing Sunday's MacRumor's page. I don't want to give anything away, but it's is going to be a big day.

p:ro

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2006
Quad PowerPC G5 with 8 cores.........

verb said:
(I call it "Eight is Enough")

I got lost there bigtime! What were you trying to say ?

a.) Powermac Quad has 8 cores ? - wrong
b.) 8 cores per system is enough ? - ?

Hope at least that if you really spent so much money on a Quad that you filled it up with Ram and a Ati X850 XT or nVidia 7800 GT... :cool: your browser loads even faster!

Quad with 1 Gb & nVidia 6600 can't be enough!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
p:ro said:
I got lost there bigtime! What were you trying to say ?

a.) Powermac Quad has 8 cores ? - wrong
b.) 8 cores per system is enough ? - ?

Hope at least that if you really spent so much money on a Quad that you filled it up with Ram and a Ati X850 XT or nVidia 7800 GT... :cool: your browser loads even faster!

Quad with 1 Gb & nVidia 6600 can't be enough!

It's a joke Joyce.

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2006
sarcasm

I know that he was sarcastic, but I was sarcastic too.

hh83917 said:

The Sony PS3 will have 8 cores...

A fast Intel Quad

Quad 64-bit Intel® Xeon® Processor 7040 at 3.0 GHz | 2x2MB L2 cache | 667FSB | Dual-Core

Price for Processors upgrade ONLY!!! at Dell +CHF 31'470.00 (swissFrancs)

Can't be much more expensive :cool: || I hope someone runs X-Bench on those systems...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
p:ro said:
I know that he was sarcastic, but I was sarcastic too.

The Sony PS3 will have 8 cores...

A fast Intel Quad

Quad 64-bit Intel® Xeon® Processor 7040 at 3.0 GHz | 2x2MB L2 cache | 667FSB | Dual-Core

Price for Processors upgrade ONLY!!! at Dell +CHF 31'470.00 (swissFrancs)

Can't be much more expensive :cool: || I hope someone runs X-Bench on those systems...

the ps3 has one in order crummy ass powerpc core and 7 SPE's (one redundant) which are basically really wide altivec units, to say it's an 8 core cpu is akin to calling the G4 a tri core cpu (powerpc+ 2x altivec units)

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2006
Core

Yeah "8 Cores" is maybe the wrong term for 1 PowerPC Processing Element (PPE) and 7 The Synergistic Processing Element (SPE)... Nevertheless "Crummy Ass PowerPC with a bunch of altivecs ?" :cool:

"the result is a processing core that operates at a high frequency with relatively low power consumption, and perhaps relatively poorer scalar performance compared to the beefy POWER5 processor core"

CELL
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT021005084318&p=1

dual quadcore & CELL |||||| 2 different philosophies

quadcore chip - still don't know what price that chip will target ... holy cow

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Intel are pushing multi-core processors a lot at the moment and I believe Vista will support multi-cores, so the drive from these two big guys may well push developers down the same route... let's hope so...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
jacobj said:
Intel are pushing multi-core processors a lot at the moment and I believe Vista will support multi-cores, so the drive from these two big guys may well push developers down the same route... let's hope so...

Um, Windows 2000 already supports multicore just fine. IIRC Win2k server supports up to 32 processors...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.