New Intel Processors Block File Sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by macsurfer, Sep 10, 2002.

1. macsurfer macrumors regular

Intel to Offer New Security Features
    Tue Sep 10,10:14 AM ET

By MATTHEW FORDAHL, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In the latest attempt to protect digital information from viruses and hackers, Intel Corp. will integrate advanced security features into its microprocessors and other hardware.

The security features, announced Monday at the Intel's conference for developers, will be implemented in processors as early as next year, said Paul Otellini, Intel's president and chief operating officer.

Code-named LaGrande Technology, the features will create a "vault" in which data is safely stored and processed. Intel also will secure the pathways within the computer, such as between the vault and the display or keyboard.

"It's a new level of safer computing," Otellini said during a keynote address.

The company did not release many details about LaGrande but said it will work in conjunction with other hardware and software-based security efforts such as Microsoft Corp.'s Palladium.t will work in conjunction with other hardware and software-based security efforts such as Microsoft Corp.'s Palladium.

Such technologies will not only keep hackers and viruses from infiltrating data stored or being processed on a computer but also could lock music or video files onto a particular computer, preventing unauthorized sharing.

In other developments at the conference, Intel said it will soon start selling Pentium 4 processors with a new technology that effectively tricks software into thinking it is running on two processors instead of one.

The technology, called "hyper-threading," is already in production in processors used in servers. Otellini said it will be included in Pentium 4s running at 3 gigahertz by the end of the year.

Intel also said it will continue to boost the speed of its processors. During one demonstration, a Pentium 4 set a new speed record — 4.7 GHz.

Shares of Intel closed 14 cents lower, to $16.08, in Monday trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Comments?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Actually it doesn't say it will prevent file sharing, it says...
    The two are VERY different.

3. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How do you figure that?
    Also are they talking shared folders/drives or file sharing apps?

[edit]FYI I did quote macsurfer, he just edited his post.[/edit]

5. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks, I've read it. But it still doesn't say what they are meaning by file sharing, as in LAN shares or world wide filesharing e.g. KaZaA, LimeWire etc.

7. macsurfer thread starter macrumors regular

Its simple, the article says that it will "lock music or video files onto a particular computer, preventing unauthorized sharing" Is that not clear to you? In other words if it is locked to your computer, you cannot share it, regardless of what app you are using, because either a) it won't transfer or b) (more likely) you can transfer the file, but the person who receives it will not be able to play it, effectively blocking the share. It's simple to understand.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really wouldn't have said it was that clean cut.
    It could mean extra security on top of the 'protection' (hehehe) provided by windowz on shares, not necessarily stopping file sharing IMHO, I guess it just depends how you read it.

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The Hyperthreading info is a little scarey.

If it works aswell as the dual cpu's it fools the OS into thinking it is then a 3Ghz x 2 Pentium 4 with dual aware software running on that 4 x 133Mhz Bus they have is going to absolutely crush the dual 1.25Ghz G4.

In theory at least.

It goes without saying that all the cpu inefficiency in the world isn't going to make something with a 167Mhz Bus and 2, 1.25Ghz CPUs compete very well, if at all with a dual 3Ghz system with a 533Mhz bus.

My understanding of Hyperthreading is that it feeds data from that long 19 stage pipeline into a second part of the core that can working on the data while the first half of the core deals with data further down the pipeline. Thus making a 3Ghz chip with this technology the equivelent of a dual 3Ghz system.

I'm not going to be blindly pro apple about this, it's a fact and unless we get some seriously faster cpus very soon even the entry level G4 which is really good value for money is going to appear to be an overprices abacus in a stylish case and the only consolation will be that you're not forced to use windows on it. The one reason why I'd stay with the mac even if PCs we're 4 times faster in all benchmarks, that wouldn't happen in a million years but it is getting to the point where no mac looks good value for money if you need speed.

Rant over

The good thing is that OS X is fully dual cpu aware, unless PC owners are running XP Professional they won't benefit from the extra CPU muscle at all apart from in applications that are aware of the second cpu that will show up on a Hyperthreading enabled system. As far as I know anyway.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think whether or not the article means hacking or sharing, it could be used very effectively to lock data from the user himself. So whether or not they're planning to, they could easily use this technology to keep certain files from being transferred. Of course, the MP3 would probably have to be special in order for the computer to single it out... here's the scenario i imagine: BMG finally gets an internet music sales system, and you buy a bunch of 'em. They tell the computer not to let themselves be copied-- and it actually works.

This is all hypothetical, and i do wish they had been more clear on the subject. But would *anyone* put this past intel? remember their internet tracking numbers in the processors?

:)
    pnw

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

To hell with file sharing! 4.7 GHZ! Jesus that thing would fly. Man, that would not be good. Apple at 1.5GHZ with intel at nearly 5GHZ. Damn, Apple better get a new company buildiing the PPC.

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

NO matter how friggin shi**y the Intel architecture is, 4.7 GHz is going to beat the dual G4 in everything. That much even I can see.

I'm tired.

irmongoose

13. dricci macrumors 6502a

Yep, 4.7 GHz of Power that you won't be able to (legally) do anything with. Sounds like a plan to me!

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Personally as far as PC CPU's go I'm more interested in what AMD will be doing when Intel reach there *so called* 4.7Ghz.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

4.7 GHz has got to be worrying Apple. Damn, they've got to get on the ball here - this is ridiculous.....

D :mad: