New Intel Server Processors in Sept.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Habusho, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2006
    Guys, reading at the inquirer, it seems like Intel will be producing new Conroes; Core 2 Duo desktop processor aimed at the server market. From the info on the article these processors will not be mp capable and they're going to be branded as Xeon 3000s. They're going to be single socket dual core Conroes and a whole new server chipset has been created for these chips (Mukilteo-2 chipset).
    The link to the article is:

If apple wanted to created a uniprocessor mac pro that would be the chipset and processor to use. We could potentially see cheaper Mac Pros using these processors and chipsets in October.
  2. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2006
  3. G5power macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Interesting. In a quick scan of the article it didn't mention what memory would be used in conjunction with that. Hopefully something more reasonable then that required for the Mac Pro dual processor.
  4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Neat....doesn't appear on any of their roadmaps but does seem kind of cool.
  5. hadleydb macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
  7. Willis macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    oo... interesting... odd how it hasnt been mentioned before though :confused:
  8. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    That's all I hear from you Shard! How will you celebrate if we ever get one of those?
  9. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    This isn't the same thing as CNET was talking about. They sent an email out explaining next month intel would release a new server chip that still ran on the Net Burst architecture...
  10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I don't know - it depends how long it would take me to get over the initial shock if Apple did indeed actually release one! :eek: :D ;)
  11. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    Why would these be the solution? If you're selling a single-processor tower, the assumption is that you didn't need the 'workstation' features of a quad Pro, and then you might as well just use Conroe and reasonably-priced DDR2 RAM.
  12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Sorry, guys. They are the 'Xeon 3000 sequence', and are, indeed, just Conroe with a Xeon name, in a Xeon 771 socket. The chipset also will use FB-DIMMs, just like the 5000X chipset in the Mac Pro.

They are meant to be lower-cost server processors, to replace the position in the lineup that Intel had been using Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors and desktop chipsets. The only reason for this new chip is to consolidate all server processors under the 'Xeon' name. The official stance is that for dual-socket 'workstation' systems, you use a Xeon 5100, for a single-socket 'workstation', you use a Core 2 Duo.

But, these Xeon 3000 series chips SHOULD be 'upward' compatible with the 5000X chipset (or, more correctly, the 5000X should be downward compatible,) meaning you might be able to put one Xeon 3000 in a Mac Pro, and it should work. (But it would crap out if you tried to put two of them in.) So it might be conceivable that Apple was waiting for this chip to release a lower-cost single-socket Mac Pro.

Or, they could have the elusive just-plain-'Mac' using a Core 2 Duo and standard DDR2 in the wings.
  13. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    What Apple needs is a gaming/prosumer Mac, for example a machine with an E6700, 2GB DDR2, P965 chipset (I think this was the high end I may be confused), a stock X1900XT or something and SLI/Crossfire capability, with a pricepoint that feels right between the high end iMac and the Mac Pro, so something like 1800-2000$ would be right on track.

The Mac Pro is nice and all but some people don't need 4 cores and FB-DIMMS :p but they don't want a low end Core Duo processor in a non-upgradeable case so yeah Apple needs to do something about that, it doesn't have have to be a mini-tower, as far as it goes for me they can either use the mac pro case or bring back the stylish G4 cases :D

Yeah its nice to dream.