Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

couto27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
lisboa,portugal
some good news for macbook air users.

intel will refresh their line of 2,5 and 1.8 ssd
xbitlabs is publishing that intel by the end of the year 2010 will release 1,8 ssd with more capacity, between 100gb and 300gb .
Current and future macbook air users will have one more option for their light air.

Currently runcore iv leads the market with their fabulous prices and performance , will be nice to see if intel will beat runcore in performance and price.

until them runcore iv is the best option, price/performance/reliable ,highly recommended for the macbook air rev A,B&C

heres the link:http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...cities_of_Solid_State_Drives_by_Year_End.html

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/02...chips-and-dramatically-increase-storage-space

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The current 1.8" Intel SSDs cannot fit in a MacBook Air. There's a size requirement beyond the disk platter size of 1.8 inches.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The MBA could get a new connector with its next revision. Actually, it's a simple fix and one that will make sense if alternative options exist for Apple. I believe Apple forces LIF onto MBA users so they don't have the option to go tear apart their MBA and install another model.

It makes sense, Apple was getting a hefty premium for the SSD model when introduced in rev B MBA with 1.86 GHz CPU upgrade and a 128 GB SSD by Samsung with LIF connector. It cost a whole $700 more for the SSD bump. Surely Apple did the LIF connector to eliminate problems and loss of revenues. It took a long time for a third-party competitor to come up with a solution, Runcore.

I would love to see an MBA that had two RAM slots to accept up to 8 GB of RAM, and I would love a standard SATA connector and 1.8" standard drive acceptance. I would think maybe the time is right to introduce both of those with the next MBA. Apple will need to capitalize on tech enthusiasts who have fallen in love with the MBA but need more flexibility to conform to their needs. This is still a premium market and the MBA could really shine with just a few alternatives and BTO options to broaden the range of MBA buyers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.