New iOS 7 Keyboard Shortcuts

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by melb00m, Sep 6, 2013.

1. melb00m, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I often use my iPad when traveling as a notebook replacement, and therefore bought the Logitech Ultra Thin Keyboard Cover a while ago (which is amazing, if you ask me...).

Few days ago I installed iOS 7 on my iPad, and while there is still a lot of room for improvements I noticed that they finally transfered some keyboard shortcuts from the Mac to the OS, which in many cases makes it a LOT more fluid to use.

So I thought we could make a list of shortcuts that are now available:

Shift+Arrows => Select text
    CMD+A => Select everything
    CMD+Arrows => Move cursor to end/front of line
    ALT+Arrows => Move cursor to next / previous word
    CMD+C/X/V => Copy, cut, paste

That's pretty much it. But now there're a lot of "regulars" from the Mac that have been transferred to iOS 7.

CMD+T => Open new Tab
    CMD+W => Close current Tab
    CMD+L => Move cursor into location bar (allows to start typing new URL immediately)
    CMD+R => Refresh page

CMD+N => Compose new Mail
    CMD+Shift+D => Send mail (in compose mode)

That's it for now, but I'll keep posting more as I find them. Also, if you find something let me know and I'll add it to the list.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2013
  3. macrumors member

Dec 4, 2012
    Awesome! The more keyboard shortcuts, the better. I love, love, love keyboard shortcuts. :D
  4. macrumors 603

Apr 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Are these Mac OSX shortcuts being posted in a iOS 7 thread? :confused:
  5. macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2008
    According to the OP, the keyboard shortcuts now work in iOS 7 when using a keyboard.

That's a really nice surprise and helps with productivity.
  6. macrumors 65816

Apr 12, 2012
    No. They're iOS 7 shortcuts (which happen to do the same thing in Mac OS X)
  7. macrumors 603

Apr 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Oh! you mean using a Bluetooth it! :D

I was like wth there is no command key on iOS. LOL
  8. macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2013
    is there still no way to send a message in messages? cause when you push enter it just creates another line..
  9. macrumors 65816

Apr 12, 2012
    Just testing on iPhone 5 with iOS 7, the new Mail ones are available but doesn't seem like the Safari ones are.
  10. macrumors 601

Mar 25, 2009
    Lincoln, England
    Any way of sending the message using the keyboard in iMessage or do you still have to hit 'send' on the screen?

I'm actually flabbergasted that you have to touch the screen to send the damn message in iOS6 :p
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2013
    I have an apple Bluetooth keyboard that I use with my there a shortcut for the home button in ios7?
  12. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2011
    I was looking for that, too, but didn't find any yet unfortunately.

Also, I don't like that scrolling is still not possible using the arrow keys. Especially in Safari, where this is pretty much the only thing that you'll still need to take your fingers off the keyboard for.

And yes, the shortcuts that are available in iOS match the ones from OS X (which makes a lot of sense...). But only a fraction of the ones from the Mac are now in iOS 7. Still, it's a nice improvement.
  13. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2013
    Anything in the GM?
  14. macrumors member

Jeff Chen

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm glad to see that they are putting more of the OSX keyboard shortcuts in iOS. Productivity! :cool:
  15. macrumors 6502

Oct 21, 2005
    New York City
    Not sure if this is new, but a number of apps that use text input (including Notability, Pages, and Evernote) now support Cmd+b, i, and u for bold/italicize/underline, which is really nice and streamlines long-form writing on the device.
  16. macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2007