New IOS update is eating my battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mafpolo, May 14, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Feb 13, 2010
    Can't make it an entire day anymore, and that's been with two LOW ACTIVITY days so far.

Anybody else having this issue?:mad:
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2012
    You should restore it in iTunes, if you haven't already. I experienced the same when upgrading to 5.0, it could not hold for a few hours even.
  4. macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2010
    Carnegie and Ontario
    Nope. It's just you.

Restore as new via iTunes(not from a back up), turn off all system location services except for Cell Network Search, turn off diagnostics and usage, set brightness to less than 50%, and turn off auto brightness.
  5. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Feb 21, 2012
    Behind the Lens, UK
    You don't mention which iPhone you are using. No change on my iPhone 4 since update.
  6. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My iPhone 4's battery life has been fantastic since the update. Restore
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 13, 2010
    Yep 4S with IOS 5.1.1

I am comparing the battery life pre it should be giving me similar battery life without having to turn off bluetooth, turn off auto brightness, etc.

I'm not meaning to be a jackass, but it will definitely improve if I just turn off the phone. I'm just frustrated, and I can't reset it on iTunes until I get home (I am traveling).

I did go ahead and set up a Genius appointment, but I will do the reset before I go in. Also, the battery gets warm as it charges...never did that before.

Why have I not learned my lesson, and waited for a while before I upgrade Apple software....

8. macrumors 68040

Sep 16, 2007
    Albuquerque, USA
    I was traveling too when I updated to 5.1.1, and I feel the battery drained faster than before. I'll have to do a restore sometime this week, I guess.
  9. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
    Same problem. And I just restored as new.
    I'm goin to drain and see what happens. The battery on the 4s has been so bad for me.

I wish I could get an iPhone that would just last me a day and I didn't have to turn crap off.
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 8, 2008
    Mine seems to be draining faster then normal too. Normal usage, backlight set to half brightness, blah, blah, blah. Can't get normal days use. :mad:
  11. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2011
  12. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't think the thread is bad. It just sucks that the phone actually can't last a full day for some of us.

I truly envy the people that post 7hrs of good actual usage.
  13. macrumors newbie

May 14, 2012
  14. macrumors demi-god

Jul 24, 2009
    I'm suffering the same issue after a clean install with no restore! Safari is laggy too!
  15. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Pc me too make me want to throw my phone across a lake lol.
  16. macrumors member

Jun 21, 2010
  17. macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2010
    Sorry but what kind of mental giant upgrades when they're traveling?
  18. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2012
    United Federation of Planets
    Losing 15% battery overnight with 5.1.1 on 4S with no apps running. Was losing 1-2% on 5.1.
    Upgraded using dfu restore. All setings the same. Location off, bluetooth off, siri off, email manual.
    Did anyone try rolling back to 5.1.
  19. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 13, 2010
    Upgraded before I left

I'm no mental genius, but I updated before I left. If I was a mental genius, I would have waited a good while until the bugs were gone before restoring in the first place.