Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Hi,

I have a Dida Mobile data sim which uses the Three network (18GB over 6 months for £20). I normally use it in a MiFi but want to use it in my new iPad 4G.

In my iPhone 4s I can insert this SIM and setup (and use) Personal Hotspot. In my new iPad the Personal Hotspot option is completely missing even thought the DiDa Mobile internet is working (I can browse web pages etc).

So, I tried 'Reset Network Settings' and other things I can think of... nothing.

Can anyone if the UK see the option?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Hi,

I have a Dida Mobile data sim which uses the Three network (18GB over 6 months for £20). I normally use it in a MiFi but want to use it in my new iPad 4G.

In my iPhone 4s I can insert my SIM and setup (and use) Personal Hotspot. In my new iPad the Personal Hotspot option is completely missing even thought the DiDa Mobile internet is working (I can browse web pages etc).

So, I tried 'Reset Network Settings' and other things I can think of... nothing.

Does your carrier support the Hotspot feature? It is carrier dependent.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
The sim card gives me Personal Hotspot on a 4S running 5.1

So I guess... yes.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Did we all restore from a Backup (iTunes/iCloud)? I doubt its related but you never know.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
It seems that a network supporting iPhone tethering does not automatically mean they support iPad tethering. For example - AT&T supports iPhone but not iPad tethering.

The UK networks will catch up. Eventually.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Hmmm. This is rubbish.

I wonder if any 'official' iPad tariffs include tethering? Mind you, the whole reason I wanted to tether is for all the cheap Three (and companies using their network) Sims...

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Hmmm. This is rubbish.

I wonder if any 'official' iPad tariffs include tethering? Mind you, the whole reason I wanted to tether is for all the cheap Three (and companies using their network) Sims...

I use my iPhone to tether.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Hi All,

I've been on the phone with Three today to chase this up.
I too wanted to use the personal hotspot feature.
Their technical support teams are still claiming that it is not actually possible to use the iPad as a personal hotspot - they don't seem to be aware that the new iPad (iPad 3) DOES have that as a feature.
I've argued it out each time, and each time they say no it doesn't...
I'm currently on hold after telling the 3rd or 4th person that it sure does have a personal hotspot feature.

Methinks they've overlooked this one.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Edit:
Forgot to say, they keep telling me that I can add on a tethering add-on, yet when I try they say it's not possible.

Edit:
Off the phone now.
That haven't got a clue. They weren't aware that the feature has been added to the iPad 3. This one had to go google personal hotspot to see where it should be...
She said I need to speak to apple to ask them about it because Three don't have the settings.
Yet she also agreed that she should escalate it to get somebody higher to look into it to get their carrier settings updated.
I've asked for her to keep me updated on whether I'd be able to use personal hotspot feature or not... I don't expect they will.

Edit:
I've tried my sim in my iPhone 4S and sure enough, Personal Hotspot shows up in settings. Both underneath wi-Fi, and in General-Network.
Surely this means Three need to update the carrier settings for the iPad?

Last edited:

Nopunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
The hotspot setting was there in mine to start with (or be it greyed out). As soon as I put the sim in it dissappeared and now does not come back even after removing the sim.

Somesort of bug?

Hambones

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
I have a verizon ipad and it was also "missing" from the screen where it usually is. To fix this I went to:

Settings > General > Network - Turned Personal Hotspot On

Once on, appears in the main settings menu and can be turned off (and will still stay there).

Hope that helps.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
same here - i.e. its not visible on the iPad. I use an O2 SIM.

I phoned them and they had no idea what I was on about.

Nopunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I have a verizon ipad and it was also "missing" from the screen where it usually is. To fix this I went to:

Settings > General > Network - Turned Personal Hotspot On

Once on, appears in the main settings menu and can be turned off (and will still stay there).

Hope that helps.

Sadly for me it dissappears from there as well.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I have the same issue my three Sim card will work for personal hotspots on the iPhone but will not work in the new iPad :mad:

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Hi,

In my iPhone 4s I can insert this SIM and setup (and use) Personal Hotspot. In my new iPad the Personal Hotspot option is completely missing even thought the DiDa Mobile internet is working (I can browse web pages etc).

Out of interest. What APN are you using? 3internet On DiDa?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
It defaults to 3internet but I am pretty sure I tested a different APN which also worked (I was googling so much).

----------

Other than the restore and the 1st time use of a few new apps, I don't think so.

Strange. My iPad managed to download 120mb overnight. Can't figure out what is is.

viaccess

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I also called Three yesterday, but I was told that my 15GB per month data plan does permit tethering and that Three have put no restrictions on the new iPad so it should work. However, as we all know, it doesn't. The Three representative insisted that it is nothing to do with them and I should contact Apple. I asked if some new carrier settings needed to be sent - but the Representative said that this was not necessary.

I duly called Apple support and waited nearly 30 minutes to get through due the 'large call volumes' and no sooner than a human answered, I was cut off. I will try again on Monday.

My belief is that, despite what Three told me, a new carrier setting needs to be sent by Three and this is not something Apple can sort out.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I also called Three yesterday, but I was told that my 15GB per month data plan does permit tethering and that Three have put no restrictions on the new iPad so it should work. However, as we all know, it doesn't. The Three representative insisted that it is nothing to do with them and I should contact Apple. I asked if some new carrier settings needed to be sent - but the Representative said that this was not necessary.

I duly called Apple support and waited nearly 30 minutes to get through due the 'large call volumes' and no sooner than a human answered, I was cut off. I will try again on Monday.

My belief is that, despite what Three told me, a new carrier setting needs to be sent by Three and this is not something Apple can sort out.

I think you're right, new carrier settings are needed.
I had such a difficult time asking them to add a tethering allowance to my plan, for an extra £5 just so I could test if something updated.
The fact that personal hotspot shows with the same sim in an iPhone 4S makes me think the same, that the carrier settings need updating.
I think Three may have to request that with apple? Not sure.. I'll be on the phone to Three again tomorrow or Monday to see if I can at least get them to add the tethering add-on so I can go back and say look... Doesn't work. Will end up going the complaints route cos they sold me something saying it would work and it didn't, then hopefully they'll pay more attention :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.