Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released the fourth beta version of the SDK for iPad developers, and observers have started to find a few differences popping up in the latest update.

161313-ipad_gestures.jpg

9 to 5 Mac reports that Apple has added support for "3Tap" and "LongPress" gestures to the SDK, suggesting that the company is opening the door for developers to take advantage of these gestures in their applications. The gestures themselves are not new, as Apple has utilized them for such options as turning the iPhone's display on and off when using VoiceOver (triple tap) and activating copy/cut/paste (long press), but the added files should make it easier for developers to use them.

9 to 5 Mac also notes that Apple has removed several icons that previously hinted at the ability to accept or decline video chats on the iPad. Despite the apparent absence of a camera in the iPad, hooks for videoconferencing were discovered in the iPad SDK, leading to speculation that either a camera would be an added feature announced before launch or had been planned and was scrapped for unknown reasons. Hints of front-facing camera capabilities have continued to surface in iPad SDK betas, but it appears that Apple has begun removing some of these references.

Article Link: New iPad SDK Adds Gesture Tools, Removes Video Chat Icons

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Figures the icons would be gone; I have a feeling the iPad won't be camera endowed until G2 of it rolls around. Otherwise the only update I can see happening is a higher capacity model rolling around before G2. (2010 and still at 16GB?)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
hm, i know of three people who say they won't buy an ipad without video chat/video skype.

not sure if they will stick to it. maybe if there is a third party camera they will buy an ipad......

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
My prediction:

There will be a 3rd party camera, and Apple will wait to see how popular it is before adding a built-in camera in a future model.

montecarloss919

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
There will be a 3rd party camera, and Apple will wait to see how popular it is before adding a built-in camera in a future model.

I hope this isnt the case. On a side note, I think its so stupid they didnt include a USB port on this thing. One port for an item like is so liming. I guarantee the majority of the people here love being able to use their laptop while having their iphone/ smartphone plugged in.

The only reason I feel that they arent adding a camera is to give them another incentive for someone to buy the next round of them.

afkbradshaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
scotland
hmmmm

the few people that i have talked to that are bemoaning inability of video chat when pressed i find never actually use it. They talk about how great isight is on their macbook pros etc but again very rarely use this feature. I am not denying that there are people who do want it and who would use it, but the media hype surrounding it i feel is giving it more weight than it deserves. I have no idea why i woulod want an ipad but i expect a developer to write something outrageous and will MAKE me want one sooner than later. Probably why its such an exciting device.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I am not commenting on this story. Prerelease software quite often has features disappear then reappear later. If I were talking about the operating system for a not yet released device, I would tell most people to chill.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
strange. not sure how programming triple tap can be any easier? it's just a tapCount.

It is tap count within a time frame. I actually implemented the long tap gesture 6 months ago with timers. It is good to see Apple adding those little gestures here and there.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Or they can do what they did for the eBookshelf and just take someone else's work without their permission (like they did for Delicious Monster)

I am not commenting on this story.

Dear Sir, I believe you just did. ;)

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
I was holding out hope for a front-facing camera. It would have been cool to use Skype or iChat and have video conferences etc with the device. I bet that will turn-off some business folks, other than myself, to buying it.

Maybe it was the lawsuit :eek: by Kodak that made them pull it (buy the company already).

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I used to want the video conference camera...until the girl I used it for stopped talking to me. Moving on...

...what about 9to5's heretofore uncorroborated claim about a Core i7 announcement on Friday--anyone heard about that one?

Update: I guess it's corroborated now--actually, it was ZDNet's claim, 9to5 just quoted it:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7641

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Figures the icons would be gone; I have a feeling the iPad won't be camera endowed until G2 of it rolls around. Otherwise the only update I can see happening is a higher capacity model rolling around before G2. (2010 and still at 16GB?)

What gave it away? The fact that no camera was announced? The fact that no camera was on any of the demo units the press got to play with? The fact that Gruber predicted all along, based on his sources, that there would be no camera? ;)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Yeah, who would have thought of using a bookshelf to represent a bookshelf.

lol.

Anyway's I love these little "just in case you had yer doubts, there is no ______!" gotchas from Apple i.e. removal of the flash thing on the NYTimes ipad advert, and now removal of the vidja chat stuff just confirms no secret surprises.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
They know we know, thats why they removed the video chat icons. They dont want people to hold out on this ipad because they think next generation might have a built in cam.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Or they can do what they did for the eBookshelf and just take someone else's work without their permission (like they did for Delicious Monster)

They didn't steal anybody's work without permission, nor do they need to seek permissions from Delicious Monster of which I think is just being ridiculous. While it may sound like I'm defending Apple here, I'm just saying it's unreasonable and illogical to say Apple copied from Delicious Monster when there were a lot of applications that used the Wood bookcase theme as well. We might as well say Delicious Monster stole their design from somebody else, hell we could just say Delicious Monster stole their design from Staples since they use wood bookcases.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
They didn't steal anybody's work without permission, nor do they need to seek permissions from Delicious Monster of which I think is just being ridiculous. While it may sound like I'm defending Apple here, I'm just saying it's unreasonable and illogical to say Apple copied from Delicious Monster when there were a lot of applications that used the Wood bookcase theme as well. We might as well say Delicious Monster stole their design from somebody else, hell we could just say Delicious Monster stole their design from Staples since they use wood bookcases.

Like this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.