New iPad's battery – what does it mean for the next MB Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lightmyway, Mar 15, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    So it seems that Apple has had a major breakthrough in their battery tech. Since I'm assuming that the next MB Air won't have a Retina display, if it used the new battery, couldn't we be looking at 10+ hours of use on the 11" model?
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2011
    I think the major breakthrough is that they simply increased the size from 25 to 42.5?
  3. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2010
    Apple did increase the battery, but I think the battery takes up more space in the IPAD. So I am not sure if the battery technology got better or they just increased the size. I would think battery technology would get better year after year, and Apple certainly has the money to get a hold of that technology if they did.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    But they only added a tiny bit of weight, so I assume the new battery isn't significantly larger to gain that boost of performance. Does anyone know from examining the teardown pics?
  5. nlr
    macrumors 6502

May 27, 2010
    I don't like the current MBA battery. I would love at least 9 hours and maybe implement 3g HSPA+.
  6. macrumors 68000

Dec 22, 2008
    what would happen if you decide to switch to a different carrier? the 3G in the MBA would be locked to one carrier, at least in the states.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2010
    Its hard to tell battery size. I tried to compare pics of the ipad 2 battery and the new ipad battery. I would like to see physical sizes of the batteries for each one.
  8. deadwalrus, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2011
    ifixit says the density of the iPad 3 new iPad battery is the same as the iPad 2; it's just 70% bigger.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2010
    Yep, it looks like Apple did not get improved battery technology for this IPAD
  10. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not really a breakthrough. Bigger battery, and their Quad-Core technology is more than likely going to be no more than 1Ghz.
  11. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Not until they move to ARM processors (like the A5X) inside the MBA which would mean losing compatibility with all current OS X apps which are designed for x86 (Intel). It's not impossible considering the increasing convergence of iOS and OS X, but I don't see it happen this year yet. Maybe in 2013 there will be some kind of iOS optimized for the MBA and designed with the use of a trackpad/keyboard in mind.