Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new line of iPad models might not launch "until the second half of 2017," according to sources in the upstream supply chain speaking with DigiTimes. The new 9.7-inch iPad is predicted to enter mass production sometime in Q1 2017, while the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad models will begin production in Q2 of this year. All of the new iPads are described as still being in the "planning" phase.

Although it was expected for Apple to announce and launch the new iPads during the Spring, the new report claims that "these tablets may not be announced or even released" until sometime in the second half of 2017. In December, "lower-than-expected" yield rates for the 10-nanometer manufacturing process was rumored to be a potential factor in a delayed launch for the new iPads.

ipadprosmartcover.jpg
Apple reportedly is planning three new tablets for 2017, a 9.7-inch iPad with a friendly price range, a 10.5-inch iPad, and an upgraded 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The products are still in planning, with the 9.7-inch model expected to enter mass production in the first quarter, and the other two in the second, according to sources from the related upstream supply chain.

However, these tablets may not be announced or even released in the market until the second half of 2017, the sources said.
In DigiTimes' report, the sources mentioned a 10.5-inch iPad, which is a size that was recently well-explained by Studio Neat designer Dan Provost as a logical choice for the middle-tier iPad. While multiple rumors placed the new iPad -- believed to be an iPad Pro -- somewhere in the 10-inch range, everything from a 10.1-inch to a 10.9-inch model has been reported.

According to the supply chain sources, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro is a contender to replace the price tier of the existing 9.7-inch iPad Pro, while the new 9.7-inch version will be introduced at an even lower cost to become an entry-level device, "mainly targeting the education sector."

As previously reported, DigiTimes' sources today reiterated that the higher-end 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will include an A10X processor. No mention was made of the 9.7-inch model and its processor, but analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last year predicted that the "low-cost" iPad would likely adopt a lower-end A9X processor.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is being positioned as a flagship model of the iPad line, believed to feature an edge-to-edge display without a home button, but retain a small portion of the top bezel in order to provide space for the front-facing FaceTime camera.

Article Link: New iPads Might Not Launch Until Sometime in the Second Half of 2017

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
It'd be nice if the reason for the delay was because Apple decided to make an iOS exclusively for the iPad and they decided to add additional features to it to better support productivity. That won't happen though, the iPad would sell too well then, and we wouldn't want that to happen.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope that they release something new and worthwhile soon. Worthwhile being more important than soon. I have the iPad Air2 which is doing fine, so I am not in that big of a rush. However, I am on my third or fourth keyboard cover, and I do look forward to switching to Apple's cover. The pencil is still not something I am interested in, but might give it a go. What I do hope for is less bezel and more Mac like features in the apps and OS, so waiting until after WWDC may make sense since they can release it with an improved iOS.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Damn....was really hoping to replace my Air 2 I've had since launch with the new *rumored* 10+ inch model when it came out...oh well, it's still plenty fast to hold me other another few months.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Seems very odd to me for there to be a 9.7 inch and a 10.5 inch.

Not really, it will be like the MacBook Pros where they keep a previous generation model as an entry level of the new.

The 10.5 will be the new Pro, and the 9.7 will probably drop the Pro name, but be the current 9.7 iPad Pro.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
New iPads have been rather boring anyway...no need to rush.

People also don't buy a new one as often as a new phone.
Yea I buy a new iPad every 4 years and a new phone every 2. I bought the iPad 2 and then traded it in for the Air 2. I guess I have some time

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Seems about right...one of the things I cant stand about Tim Cook's Apple is the "everything in the fall" approach.

As for the iPads, a 10.5" model with increased resolution would be perfect for me...I currently have the 12.9" but it is too large, but I can't go back to the 9.7".

What the iPads need most though is not hardware, its software that can leverage better productivity and work.

Well, still hoping for new desktop Macs in the Spring.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm wondering what 'friendly price range' will mean for this new 9.7 model.

They could make serious inroads to education and the low end market if they priced it at $299.
But my guess is that it'll simply replace the current iPad Air 2 and at the same price point.($399/32gb).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It'd be nice if the reason for the delay was because Apple decided to make an iOS exclusively for the iPad and they decided to add additional features to it to better support productivity. That won't happen though, the iPad would sell too well then, and we wouldn't want that to happen.
Apple IS making an iOS that is optimized for the iPad. iOS 11 will include animated emoji! ;)

A 2 year upgrade cycle for the 12.9" iPad Pro... I guess they really are Macs in Apples view :eek:

This also means that we are unlikely to see a new Apple Pencil in Q1, as the 9.7" model looks to be more of an iPad Air 3.
This generation of iPads is going to get dicey for Apple. They released the 9.7 Pro last year, and this year it may be replaced by a 10.5" model. and an Air 3 will come out of the blue... that will be awkward.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The good news just keeps coming . . .

This is what starting to come down from the crest of a wave looks like.

Reactions: Sandstorm

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Again. I'd rather wait for the product to be finished and well-made than rush out an explosive new device.

Reactions: RowellE

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Not really, it will be like the MacBook Pros where they keep a previous generation model as an entry level of the new.

The 10.5 will be the new Pro, and the 9.7 will probably drop the Pro name, but be the current 9.7 iPad Pro.

The whole "Pro" thing has gotten ridiculous. Just call them the iPad mini, iPad, and the iPad plus. There is nothing truly "pro" about it. The iPads have always had a dumb variety available. Selling old models like the iPad 2 as long as they did was ridiculous and would have been like selling the iPhone 3GS while the 5s was available. They are doing the same thing now with the Mini 2. Apple is all about simplicity, then keep it at 3 models and quit leaving old ones around for far too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.