Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonfyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
HELL
Source: Forbes.com -- "iPhone 7 Leak Delivers Bad News About Rumored Future" http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitcho...-bad-news-about-rumored-feature/#62d269823af4

This 9-hour-old article on Forbes details several new rumors (as well as rumor debunks) concerning the iPhone 7. (Forbes' source is the highly credible Mac Otakara)

Here is a basic rundown of the article, subject by subject:

-Waterproof Design is now in doubt
The rumored waterproof design of the 7 is confirmed to be debunked by Mac Otakara. This will be bad news for Apple, as the Samsung Galaxy S7 will now be the go-to phone for users who want a phone with a dust/waterproof design.
-Size rumors confirmed
The rumors for the 7's dimensions have been confirmed, along with a confirmation of the 7 being a millimeter thinner than the 6 (image from Forbes). Therefore, this (sadly) means we will not see a return of the 3.5mm headphone jack.
Screen-Shot-2016-03-01-at-4.55.26-AM.png

-Stereo Speakers & Hybrid Headphone Design
There is evidently a patent concerning a hybrid headphone design, combining a wireless option and a corded option (image from Forbes).
apple-headphones-patent.png

-Miscellaneous (edited due to missing information)
7 Plus model may be called the iPhone Pro
Stereo speakers may very well happen with the 7, offering superior sound.
-Stereo Speakers to be provided by Cirrus Logic, an Austin, Texas based company.
Camera is set to be flush with the iPhone 7
There is a possibility of a thinner Lightning port than its predecessors.
-No, this does not mean you have to purchase new charging cables.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Until Cook & Co take the stage this fall I would take every click bait article like this with an ocean's worth of salt.

You shouldn't. For years the rumors are pretty much 100% accurate. Ever since the whole "double down on security".

Even this early I am pretty confident in an iphone 7 that looks like the 6/6s with no antenna bands and everything mentioned here.

bythecshore

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
CT
This will offer the best of both worlds -- Bluetooth connectivity and a connection using a headphone cord.

So if you're using headphones plugged into the lightning port, does that mean you can't charge it while listening?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
You shouldn't. For years the rumors are pretty much 100% accurate. Ever since the whole "double down on security".

Even this early I am pretty confident in an iphone 7 that looks like the 6/6s with no antenna bands and everything mentioned here.

You may be 100% correct. But I remember not too long ago at this stage of the release cycle that the phone was confirmed to have a sapphire crystal display, higher resolution displays (than currently offered), heck they even said the apple logo would light up, amongst other things. All the same 'credible' sources. I guess time will tell.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You may be 100% correct. But I remember not too long ago at this stage of the release cycle that the phone was confirmed to have a sapphire crystal display, higher resolution displays (than currently offered), heck they even said the apple logo would light up, amongst other things. All the same 'credible' sources. I guess time will tell.

This early rumors are suspect, but everything is pretty confirmed way before Tim hits the stage. I can't remember the last time I was shocked at an iPhone event.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This early rumors are suspect, but everything is pretty confirmed way before Tim hits the stage. I can't remember the last time I was shocked at an iPhone event.

iPhone 4. I remember the disgust and horror of such a boxy device! No one believe the bar thing. No way Apple releases it looking like that!

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL

The more you mention it, I guess it has been quite a while for me too. I keep telling myself I will try and avoid all of the articles so I can be surprised, but I never do. Far too curious. I am excited at the thought of stereo speakers and duel cameras on a Plus Pro model. Thinness I can do without. It is just too bad that the iconic home button prevents reduction of the bezels.

Bonfyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
HELL
So if you're using headphones plugged into the lightning port, does that mean you can't charge it while listening?
It certainly does not say anything about wireless charging, so I'm afraid so. Seriously, Apple?
iPhone 4. I remember the disgust and horror of such a boxy device! No one believe the bar thing. No way Apple releases it looking like that!
I hated the 4. So bulky, vertically and horizontally. I'm thankful for the 5 I got, it's so much less bulky.
Based on current rumors, I expect to be wildly underwhelmed.
Only one way to find out, eh?
Until Cook & Co take the stage this fall I would take every click bait article like this with an ocean's worth of salt.
Rumors I've seen always end up being confirmed at the reveal. Either Apple takes inspiration from rumors, or there's a spy from Google posing as an Apple employee.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
no waterproof, bezel from the 90s (exaggergated) i am seriously considering the S7 Edge and my by then "old" 6 for my iOS needs.

whats the point of thinner thinner thinner when its still as big and bigger then it needs to be sigh

Reactions: Ladybug and trifid

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The bezel isn't going away anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the bezel has been the same size since the original iPhone. It's their trademark design and they feel that going away from it they'd lose product recognition.

Reactions: Daria

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
The bezel isn't going away anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the bezel has been the same size since the original iPhone. It's their trademark design and they feel that going away from it they'd lose product recognition.

If so, I disagree. iPods have seen the most evolution in shapes/designs, yet every time reiterating their product recognition strongly.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The rumors for the 7's dimensions have been confirmed, along with a confirmation of the 7 being a millimeter thinner than the 6 (image from Forbes). Therefore, this (sadly) means we will not see a return of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Huh? This conclusion doesn't follow. They are making the rumored iPhone 7, one millimeter thinner. Until the thickness drops below ~4mm, which this doesn't, then device thickness has nothing apparent to do with removal of the jack.

Reactions: puma1552

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Rumors I've seen always end up being confirmed at the reveal. Either Apple takes inspiration from rumors, or there's a spy from Google posing as an Apple employee.

Yeah I have changed my tone since my original post. Looking back, there really have been few if any surprises come reveal. I still think it is a little early to call everything confirmed though. Up until several days ago, the 7 was to be water proof. Now they are saying no. Just that quickly some of these things can change.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The iPhone 7 is expected to have the same dimensions as the iPhone 6s with the exception of the thickness. Due to a thinner LCD array, the iPhone 7 should be 1 millimeter thinner than the iPhone 6s.
If true, that is very disappointing. I was hoping for reduce bezels.

Reactions: Darrensk8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.