New iPhone Ads: 'Instead' and 'Amazing'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. macrumors demi-god

It occurred to me while watching both of these that I can't find the ring tone used in either commercial on my iPhone. Did I miss something?

3. macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I noticed the same thing. I couldn't find those ringtones on my phone.

4. macrumors 68000

Heh.

I want them to make a movie that shows the guy having to delete 47 emails one by one....

;)

5. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

YES Thank god The Shins are featured in this commercial, they are an amazing band!

6. macrumors 6502a

Amazing is good, the other one is boring. Both of these ads don't seem to have the same production values as before; the camera goes out of focus sometimes and the colors seem off.

7. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's always bothered me this ring tone isn't included in the iphone. the iphone doesn't really have a standard cell phone ringer. :(

8. macrumors member

Yea, what's up with them using a ring tone that's not available on the iPhone?
    i noticed that when the first iPhone ads came out.

9. macrumors 68030

Nice, I like them. :)

We need more Mac ads now!

10. macrumors 6502a

blueflame

and...

the picture of the person calling does not show up next to their name, but as a wallpaper instead
    A

11. macrumors 68030

In order to do this, I believe you apply the contact's picture via Address Book and sync it from there. When a person calls, it should now display how it is in the ads.

12. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

They must have a reason they use the unknown ringer on every commercial but did not include it ..

13. macrumors G3

puckhead193

what confuses me is that apple used to show the clown fish wallpaper yet didn't include them.
    the ads were ok... not great - i think the hype is over

14. macrumors regular

I would have rather seen something else Instead cause these were not Amazing.

15. macrumors member

sminman

Looks like they don't care about caniabalizing iPod sells!

"Why carry an iPod and a phone?"

"Why not carry an iPod with your favorite music, favorite videos, in your phone?"

These are quotes from the commercial.

Sam

16. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Yeah, that pretty much proves the point, that they are not afraid of cannibalizing the iPod.

17. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Amazing was fine.

Instead was a terribly conceived ad. Why not carry an iPhone instead of your iPod and cell phone?

OK, so the ad is now only targeting people with an iPod and a cell phone.

So if you already have an iPod and a cell phone, and you have too much stuff, you should get another device? Meaning you should do what with your iPod and phone? Well, you could sell your iPod on eBay, and you could pay a $200 termination fee to your cell phone carrier, join ATT, and then buy an iPhone for $500 and pay possibly more per month than you were before for your cell phone.

That does sound simple!

Good lord, why do they ask a "why not" question to which there are a million valid answers!

They obviously are having weaker than expected sales and are trying to cut into their own iPod market.

18. macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

These ads don't seem exciting to me. Don't get me wrong, I sure hope they work, I want iPhones to sell. But they don't seem like traditional Apple ads to me and I don't care for the fact that someone is holding the iPhone. Sure that's its normal use and stuff, and that's what they need to portray, but it moves around since it is not on a solid surface and I think it's odd.

19. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

I also noticed the picture showing up differently when you get a call. I guess I will have to try doing it the address book way.

Speaking of things that have been shown on iPhone but do not exist, my friend recently pointed out to me that in the Keynote on iPhone the email app has a split view that is not on the actual phone. Anyone else notice/remember this? It probably has been brought up already, I am just slow I guess.

20. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

True that, or show his frustration with junk mail and no "junk" button.

21. macrumors 6502a

The iPhone commercials give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

*hugs his iPhone*

22. macrumors member

junk mail...

I get maybe at most one junk email per week on my iphone.... i use gmail... guess i'm just lucky?

23. macrumors regular

Yay MIKA!!

For some reason the ad page doesn't load videos for me... here are direct links for anyone else who might experience this:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/iphone/2007/ads/instead/apple_iphone_instead_848x480.mov

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/iphone/2007/ads/amazing/apple_iphone_amazing_848x480.mov

I agree with the lower-production appearance... but i think it is because they are using an actual iPhone, rather than touching up or remastering the screen of the device? That's ok with me, because it still looks sweet.

Seriously, tho... how do they get the YouTube video to resume in the middle? Nothing i do can get a video to load as fast as it does in the vid. And it is starting a minute or so into the video. Anyone else able to do this like they did?

Also... isn't it amazing that Ok Go covered the entire back wall of the treadmill room with aluminum foil? I thought so. ;)

24. macrumors 68020

So what's the verdict--does the iPhone live up to all its hype?

25. macrumors regular

The answer is a big emphatic yes.

For me at least.