Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
When the new iPhone comes out I plan to purchase it. Now, do I lose all the apps that I've purchased as well as the music? I think the answer is yes but I'm not to sure. Just trying to find out for sure. It's a app I want but no sense buying it if it's not going to carry over, I'd do better to wait.

JamesHP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
No, the apps are all linked to your iTunes account so you can get them back, and obviously if you have your music in iTunes you'll be able to sync it back.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
When the new iPhone comes out I plan to purchase it. Now, do I lose all the apps that I've purchased as well as the music? I think the answer is yes but I'm not to sure. Just trying to find out for sure. It's a app I want but no sense buying it if it's not going to carry over, I'd do better to wait.

As long as you sync your old iPhone beforehand to transfer all of the apps, songs, movies, etc. to iTunes, it will all transfer to the new iPhone. The only reason it would not is if you use a new iTunes account or if you do not sync music or apps to iTunes.

The only thing you might be losing (if you do not restore from a back-up) would be any achievements within those apps. I am not sure about this part though.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks! So if I've added apps or music since my last backup I need to do another backup so they will carry over correct?

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Thanks! So if I've added apps or music since my last backup I need to do another backup so they will carry over correct?

Yes. That is really only for music. Apps can be re-downloaded for free. Music can be downloaded again, but you will pay again. Just to be on the safe side, I would back up one last time.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
So does that mean my 3 stars on every level on Angry birds is going to be lost?:(

I am not sure, but maybe. I have heard that if you restore from back-up that things carry over. However, I do not sync my apps because of this. When I switched computers, I was informed that all of my achievements would be gone. I think that this happened to my husband as well.

I am not at the point where it is keep everything or lose it to the new iPhone. So far, my high score and achievements in Yahtzee is not winning. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.