Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
US
Curiosity.... So when these new iPhones come out, do you keep your old phone and JB or forego and get the new phone, use the regular iOS then re-jailbreak when the new one comes out?

Or get the new phone, let it sit in the box until the updated JB comes out then break it out?

I'm at that fork in the road right now and leaning to keeping the new phone and just sitting on it. No way to time when to buy the phone along with any JB and we all know that the JBs now only signed a week or two max.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Most times, I forego the new phone until a JB comes out, then rush out and buy one immediately. This year was an exception; I needed to move from the 6 to a 6s+, and the one I picked up was already on ios 10. I've been stock for two weeks, the longest I've been since jailbreakme 3.0 on the iPhone 4. I love the new phone. I absolutely loathe being on stock.

That said, I didn't like the 9.3.3 JB being semi-tethered and only signed for a year. If future jailbreaks are the same, I'll have to really think hard on what my priorities are.

Reactions: mdlooker

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If it's a year I am going to upgrade (not this year, iPhone 7/7+ is too fugly) then I wil stay jailbroken and wait until the release of a jailbreak for the current version of iOS.

Then I buy, restore my data to the new phone and jailbreak.

There has been nothing about how I use my devices that has changed since early 2012. Because of that there's never been a feature in a new version of iOS that has made me want to sacrifice my jailbreak. I tend to have things dialed in exactly the way I want with my jailbreaks and am generally capable of doing things that you can't do even on new versions of iOS.

So waiting isn't really much of an issue for me.

Reactions: StarkCity

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
If I need a new phone, of course I will dumb the old one with the jailbreak on it. JB for me is fun and useful yes, but when I need to change my phone, its usually because the old one having issues like battery or slow down over the years etc so I'm just glad to upgrade and stick to a stock iOS until a new jb comes. Its not that bad and can enjoy my phone on stock iOS as well.

At least I can enjoy apps that usually dont work on jb due to jb detection on those apps.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I upgrade my phone regardless of whether there is a current jailbreak or not...but I think I'm in the minority.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
US
I've found that TetherMe has been my most useful JB. Of course the small things have been useful but I now have this new phone and see no use for it yet as I haven't had the urge to be without my JB. So I think its going back very soon. I also have a JB 7+ on order to come by Mid November but, once again, I'm going to have a phone sitting and waiting for a JB that costs over 1K. So I think I may just cancel/return everything and just wait.

My disadvantage is that I'll be leaving the country next month so I may be stuck until next year. Next fork in the road: I've never had an S model.
[doublepost=1476326907][/doublepost]
If I need a new phone, of course I will dumb the old one with the jailbreak on it. JB for me is fun and useful yes, but when I need to change my phone, its usually because the old one having issues like battery or slow down over the years etc so I'm just glad to upgrade and stick to a stock iOS until a new jb comes. Its not that bad and can enjoy my phone on stock iOS as well.

At least I can enjoy apps that usually dont work on jb due to jb detection on those apps.

One thing I'm also toying around with is maybe keep the phone, but a pre-paid card in it until the new JB comes out then keep my 6+ as the fall back.

I upgrade my phone regardless of whether there is a current jailbreak or not...but I think I'm in the minority.

Do you have any "Can't live without" tweaks?
[doublepost=1476327029][/doublepost]
If it's a year I am going to upgrade (not this year, iPhone 7/7+ is too fugly) then I wil stay jailbroken and wait until the release of a jailbreak for the current version of iOS.

Then I buy, restore my data to the new phone and jailbreak.

There has been nothing about how I use my devices that has changed since early 2012. Because of that there's never been a feature in a new version of iOS that has made me want to sacrifice my jailbreak. I tend to have things dialed in exactly the way I want with my jailbreaks and am generally capable of doing things that you can't do even on new versions of iOS.

So waiting isn't really much of an issue for me.

Yea I see that may be the common thread .. to wait until the JB comes out then go out and buy the phone. (the work around)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I get the new phone. I'm a pretty patient guy, so I suffer a bit and wait for a new jailbreak. :)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That is a very interesting question.

I will be eligible for a new phone in September 2017. My 6s is currently JB on 9.0.2...only complaint I have is a spider crack on the lower right corner, about 1/8" long. I really don't notice it anymore and I won't send it in to repair.

So do I get a new phone or keep using this?

I'm probably going to get a new phone and this phone will be a backup or I might try Ringplus on it.

If my phone were still in perfect condition, I'd seriously entertain the idea of hanging onto the 6s and selling the new phone. I love that it's jail-broken. And the 3.5mm jack is a very tangible benefit as well.

Many a time I charge and listen to music at the same time. That Belkin Lightning adapter for the 7/+ is whack!

Last edited:

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I love having a JB device and haven't been stock in years until the 7+. It's been weird going back to stock. Not as bad as I thought but I do miss some of my more essential tweaks like having a toggle in the cc to close background apps and having video pane. Oh goodness have I been spoiled with video pane. I also miss some costumizing like having my icons centered screen or having a 5 icon dock. Other than that, stock really hasn't been that bad and I've enjoyed it so far. A jb for ios10 would be just amazing icing on top of the cake IMO.

That being said, I still have my old 6+ jb that I will hang onto as well for the time Ill completely miss having a jb Lol

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I had to google what whack means, to me it means to hit something.

I'm feeling older everyday that passes.

i didn't think people would contest who was older......but I'll hazard a guess, and say I got you beat.

I turned 50 last year. And yes...people are surprised when they know my age.

/ grin/

[doublepost=1476533384][/doublepost]
I love having a JB device and haven't been stock in years until the 7+. It's been weird going back to stock. Not as bad as I thought but I do miss some of my more essential tweaks like having a toggle in the cc to close background apps and having video pane. Oh goodness have I been spoiled with video pane. I also miss some costumizing like having my icons centered screen or having a 5 icon dock. Other than that, stock really hasn't been that bad and I've enjoyed it so far. A jb for ios10 would be just amazing icing on top of the cake IMO.

That being said, I still have my old 6+ jb that I will hang onto as well for the time Ill completely miss having a jb Lol

Do you know what my most essential tweak is on my iPad?

I have Activator set so when I double-tap the clock on the top of the screen it toggles Airplane mode. Use it all the time!

Does Apple really want me to take 3 motions to do this? I don't think so.

For my phone, it's a toss-up between Apex2 and SwipeSelectionPro (prefer this over the force touch method to move around). Probably the former.

Last edited:

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
US

I absolutely will hold on to my 6+ as I'm using it right now. I bought the 7+ on the 25th of September and got a waiver from the Apple store manager in my area to hold onto the phone until the end of the month. I'm dreading stock as I'm using features the stock doesn't have to this second. smh I'm constantly thinking about this daily.

Do you know what my most essential tweak is on my iPad?

I have Activator set so when I double-tap the clock on the top of the screen it toggles Airplane mode. Use it all the time!

Does Apple really want me to take 3 motions to do this? I don't think so.

For my phone, it's a toss-up between Apex2 and SwipeSelectionPro (prefer this over the force touch method to move around). Probably the former.

TetherMe is everything for my phone! In fact, I used it on my 15hr road trip and was able to listen to CNN on my computer while music on my phone in the background. (I guess all that commotion kept me alert the whole time lol).

If I go to the 7+, I lose that instantly or lose my unlimited data and pay 30bucks a month added to my cost. Plus going to a tiered data plan costing waaaaaay too much.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I absolutely will hold on to my 6+ as I'm using it right now. I bought the 7+ on the 25th of September and got a waiver from the Apple store manager in my area to hold onto the phone until the end of the month. I'm dreading stock as I'm using features the stock doesn't have to this second. smh I'm constantly thinking about this daily.

TetherMe is everything for my phone! In fact, I used it on my 15hr road trip and was able to listen to CNN on my computer while music on my phone in the background. (I guess all that commotion kept me alert the whole time lol).

If I go to the 7+, I lose that instantly or lose my unlimited data and pay 30bucks a month added to my cost. Plus going to a tiered data plan costing waaaaaay too much.

I forgot what TetherMe did...had to look it up.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
US
I had to google what whack means, to me it means to hit something.

I'm feeling older everyday that passes.

Someone said to me, after I gave someone a hot meal at the plaza after they asked if I ever heard of food that fell off of the back of the truck? I was like, well if the food fell off of the back of the truck, there's going to be an accident and the driver will be held liable and lose his/her job!

After they had to stop laughing from stomach pains, they explained to me that it's a saying in the hood about stolen merchandise, whatever it may be, and sold for a much lower price. smh.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
LOL! I'm Gen-X (1970) but I knew what he meant! :D

What's messed up is that emojis don't work on my phone w/Macrumors.

I can bring them up on screen and can insert into my post, but when I hit 'Post reply' they get stripped! Weird.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What's messed up is that emojis don't work on my phone w/Macrumors.

I can bring them up on screen and can insert into my post, but when I hit 'Post reply' they get stripped! Weird.
Use your standard text emojis. They convert when you post.

You learn workarounds when your main computers to use MacRumors are PowerBooks and PowerMacs that choke on the rich text editor.

Reactions: Will22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.