Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Influential ratings and review magazine Consumer Reports has reviewed Apple's new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models, giving them high scores but calling the 4-inch Retina display and 8-10 hour battery life "no match" for Motorola's latest Droid smartphones. The full mobile phone ratings are behind the magazine's paywall, but the summary blog post outlines the magazine's thinking on the issue.
The iPhone 5s tops the already great iPhone 5 with a surprisingly reliable fingerprint reader, a faster processor, and better-than-ever camera. And the affordable iPhone 5c is a compelling offering for budget-minded buyers. Consumer Reports testers found both phones delivered better performances than the iPhones they succeed--they even have longer talk times (a tad less than 7 hours). [...]

Yet, battery life was still notably shorter than on other phones in our tests, including three of the latest Droids from Motorola, which ran for as long as 24 hours. Also, their small screens, while sharp and bright, can't beat the larger, sharper displays that adorn flagship models from Samsung, LG, and HTC.
iphone_5s_5c.jpg
Many Android device manufacturers have been increasing the size of their devices and displays, pushing into so-called "phablet" territory, but Apple has so far kept to smaller displays facilitating one-handed operation. In a minor change, Apple increased the height of the iPhone's display with the iPhone 5 last year, but the 4-inch display now standard on Apple's latest iPhone and iPod touch models remains much smaller than seen on many competing devices.

Apple has reportedly been testing prototype iPhone designs with larger displays measuring between 4.8 and 6 inches diagonally, with a particular focus on 4.8-inch models. Apple does, however, routinely test a variety of different prototype designs and it is unclear if the company is planning to launch the larger-screen designs with the next iPhone hardware update presumably scheduled for next year.

Article Link: New iPhones Score Well with 'Consumer Reports', but Display and Battery 'No Match' for Android Competitors

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Apple is doomed. :p

Gotta wait a year for yet another incremental improvement while other competitors are already ahead.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Never thought I would have heard Android being better for battery than iOS.

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Thin is no longer in. Those who says size doesn't matter secretly likes them fatter.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Consumer Reports? Does anyone care what they have to say anymore?

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

I have an external just to last the day and sometimes use it twice in one day. It depends on the user.

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012

I have the S4 and I can go through the day easily... dunno what your friends are doing tbh.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013

I've seen this with my friends as well.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I have seen some phablet displays and they are beautiful. But holding them can be extremely frustrating. I need a phone with one-handed use and these phablets require two hands. They also take up a lot more space in my pocket which can be annoying. I hope Apple can make the iPhone's screen larger without making the phone itself bigger. The iPhone 5 is large enough for my taste.

As for battery life, Apple needs to step it up. I get just 4 1/2 hours on my iPhone 5. Battery life is my only gripe about the iPhone.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Apple succeeded because this problem would have had Jobs throwing a hell-bent s••t fit 6 months before launch. To Tim Cook it's probably no big deal.

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
The battery is pretty bad.

my 5S battery is pretty *good* actually. def go more than a day with fairly heavy usage. not sure what cr, or other people, are doing with their phones.. but calls, texts all day, surfing, some video and music pb, takin pix... no battery issue.

and i for one do not want a phone bigger than the 5. when i want a tablet, i'll reach for a tablet; when i want a phone, i reach for a phone....

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
Contract will be up for the iPhone 6. I'm expecting

• Bigger screen (4.8 inches? sure!)
  • Much better battery life (so much more room)
  • Nifty iOS 8 features, since iOS 7 was more of a re-design, now they can actually add more things

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Apple can take their time to deliver bigger screen iphone thats "right" maybe with slim bezel or edge to edge screen or any other technique I can't think of. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.