New iPod Ad

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Jul 3, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

It's the long-lost, never-before seen iPod ad! :D

iPod Ad (320x240 MP4, 5MB)

OK, I made it. Once again, the result of boredom. ;) Tell me what you think! (Aside from the fact that there's no iPod--I don't have one :( )

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, what a waste of my time that was...I expected something with a lot of energy in it, and out of the four multi-color presentations of iPod + iTunes commercials (so I'm not counting the outdoor one), all of the shadow figures were at their least energetic. Bah, maybe (a big maybe) the following time around, well see a lot of energy demonstrated in an Apple commercial so it's exciting to watch.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm sure I would be laughing if I could hear it :( but noooooooo, my PB has decided that nothing short of a boot chime shall pass through its almighty audio chips :mad:

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

kinda harsh on an amateur creation, cobra! anyway, I thought it wasn't bad. one thing I was wondering is why it turned out so grainy...I figure whatever silhouette filter you're using might not be perfect, but the text had artifacts, too. was this scaled up from a smaller size?

pretty good job, though.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Funny you should say that...It's my parents in the ad. (57 years old...)

Mostly because I can't dance ;)

7. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I shot my parents on green-screen, then turned the contrast all the way down to make the sillouettes. I used a color matte as the backdrop. I think the grainyness was caused due to green-screen fringe.

As to the text, for some reason Final Cut Pro 3 on my iMac isn't recognizing the Myriad font, so I did it in Photoshop and composited it onto the color in Final Cut. I think this might have something to do with the grainyness.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Amateur creation? I thought that was Apple's commercial.

[looks up at original post more closely]

Count that up to not being able to read on my part.

9. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm flattered you thought my ad was an actual Apple ad :D. (And I agree--for a real iPod ad, this is definately sub-par. But for something a 15-year old kid did in his basement in a couple hours... ;) )

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I wasn't sure, but I thought that might have been what you meant. Seemed a little out of character for you. ;)

You've gotten as close as anyone else I've seen as far as emulating Apple's silhouette motif. So cheers on a job well done!

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well done, seems you are off to a good start.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well I don't want to go editing my own posts after a moderator has done so, but above my first above post -- second of mine in this thread -- I did censor myself. Ah, I'll PM Doctor Q about it. So madchemist...I do have a dark side (or dark character, I guess), but I don't use it for kicking amateurs down when they seem to do well in something except for occasions like these. I use it for amateurs that are completely clueless...and it's much darker than what I have above. [​IMG]

Suggestions to improve hotwire132002's video: Get more energetic shadowfigures, like a bunch of highly outgoing 16 or 17 year olds -- right up your alley -- and make that background music as loud as possible without overdoing too much of the waveform.

13. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Trust me--I would have gotten better actors than my parents. Only one problem--I'm on vacation in the middle of nowhere (a cottage in the middle of the woods)... no kids up here :( .

I might have to remake it when I get home, though...

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't know...The goofiness of your parents' dancing kind of adds a humorous charm to the whole thing. Especially your dad jumping up and down.

15. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I agree, leave this one as is. Has great Kitch potential...

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I thought you showed the ineptness of middle age rocker wannabes very well! If your message is that iTunes is for everyone, including us over-the-hill rock-n-roll babies - who still can't dance - it was great. No disrespect to your father but he is a "rhythmically challenged" as I am. I love iTunes and I loved your commercial. Go, go Johnny go! :D

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well the Ad had the right idead behind it, it needed to be edited a little better since sometimes the people weren't all black.

Cobra -- geez its a homemade movie!! :eek:

18. markoibook macrumors regular

Hey peeps - while we are on the subject of homebrewed stuff - I've had a go myself at making some iPod-esq silloheute pics, using photos i've taken of people in real life. Check them out at www.foylesystems.com

I would be most grateful if you people could give me some feedback - as I'm thinking of doing more.

BTW - liked the ad - how long did it take?

19. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think that was a fantastic iTunes ad!! This goes to show that Apple inspires creativity!! :p

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think it would be better if it had a different text message at the end. Something that humorously pointed to the fact that it's old people dancing to old music.

Something like this:

iPod. iTunes.

Now available for middle-aged people.

21. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Nah not that use this

iPod. iTunes

Now For Geezers

22. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I loved your iPeople. Great job!

As for how long my ad took, I shot and edited it in a couple hours. (Mostly render time...can't wait for my G5!)

23. markoibook macrumors regular

Cheers! I've decided to do more work on my iPeople and make some more artworks.
    I've also registered a domain to showcase them - keep an eye on www.icreations.co.uk - I aim to have it up and running soon!

For now, my iPeople are still available at www.foylesystems.com

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

you folks impress me with your creativity and competence.

I don't really add much to society, myself. ;) not yet, anyway. :cool: