New iPod batt. troubles

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Kingsnapped, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I got a 10gig iPod for my birthday/christmas, and have only used it a few times since. I wanted to take it on a trip yesterday, and although it had been fully charged a couple days ago and was turned off thereafter... there was only one little battry chunk.

I thought I must have left it on or something, and plugged it in, only to take it out this morning. I haven't used it since It was plugged in (and when I unplugged it, it said "Charged") and now I'm only getting about half my battery bar.

It's only about a week old, so I don't think the battery has any reason to be "dead." Should I call apple care, or just plug it in some more and hope it works itself out?

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

mine's a little funcky too i'll run down the battery for a few hours till it says its dead then i can restart it and get another few hours out of it, it used to not do this until i got the latest software update
    might want to try discharging and charging it a few times to break it in, make sure you're using the latest software before calling apple

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's not a good idea to frequently run the iPod's battery down and then recharge it. However, if you're having battery troubles like Kingsnaped just described, doing it once can be an effective way to regain lost battery life, due to various technical reasons (NOT the "memory effect").

The best thing for the lithium-ion battery in the iPod is to charge it every time you can. Occasionally (i.e. once a month) it's a good idea to use the iPod off of battery until it shuts off, then recharge it.

NEVER let the iPod's battery go so long without charging that it loses all of its voltage (letting it sit for a couple of weeks after being full or a few days on empty) since you'll have to get a new battery.

4. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I suppose I'll just tell it to play when I go to bed tonight, and charge it all day tomorrow. I am yet to run it through an entire discharge, so it sounds like a good shot.

As of right now, it's still on about half a battery, so I know it's not staying on while it's asleep or something... This thing better be fixed in time for school on monday :eek:

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well with the new 2.1 iPod firmware update, the battery meter has been rather inconsistent. There have been instances where the meter has run down to nothing yet is able to play for another 1-2 hours and yet where the meter is half full and the iPod dies. Hopefully Apple addresses this problem in the coming update. Take a look at this site to get a better understanding at what the dealio.

http://ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/forum/39-1.html