New ipod - can't make 'shuffle albums' work

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Invizzible, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I just got a 20 GB ipod and can't make the 'shuffle albums' feature work. I go to "Settings>Shuffle" and click until it says "Albums". According to the instructions, it's supposed to play an entire album, then randomly select another and play it. But it just plays the first album and then stops.

I've noticed that if you go to "Settings>Main Menu", then you have options to turn things on and off, including "Albums". I've tried using it with this both on and off, but neither one would make the shuffle albums mode work [also, maybe I missed it but so far I haven't seen anything in the manuals about what this 'on/off' menu is supposed to do].

Also, I'm surprised that I can't find a way to play all the songs, without using shuffle mode. Far as I can tell, if I want stuff played in the order they appear, the most uninterupted music I can get is 1 playlist or 1 album. Anybody know if there's a way to tell it to play more, without using "shuffle"?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as playing things in the order they appear, are you referring to going to Music > Songs (or Albums, Artists, Genres, etc.) and hitting play? That should play the entire list, start to finish, if shuffle is not enabled.

Also, is your iPod software up to date? Menu > Settings > About > Version should show 3.0.2 or better.

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, selecting "Songs" plays them all. Stupid me, I kept trying 'Playlists' and 'Albums'.

And yes, I have the latest software.

Now for the mystery of how to get shuffle albums to work. Anyone??

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Try enabling 'repeat all' too, as sometimes on iTunes I find that shuffle doesn't really continue going if 'repeat' is not enabled.

5. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, that didn't work. I enabled 'repeat all' and then selected and album and played it. When it was done, the same album started over.

I guess no one on here has tried the shuffle albums feature, huh? Maybe it doesn't work on anyone's ipod, but nobody's noticed because no one uses it.

6. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I must say the more I play with this thing, the more it confuses me. Holding the skip forward button down was causing it to play in fast forward mode, which is what I'd expect. Then suddenly it stopped doing that. Then holding down the skip forward button did nothing, until I let up and then it would skip to the next 'selection'. Rebooting seems to have brought it back, but I still can't make the 'shuffle albums' work. Right now I've got 'shuffle albums' turned on and it's playing, but it's shuffling the songs instead. Except at one point it did play an entire album before moving on to then continue playing individual songs from different albums.

Do others agree that this is a pretty glitchy device? Since I'm new to it, I have no idea if i'm commiting frequent user error, or if this thing just is prone to unpredictable behavior (or if mine is defective, or if I should reload the software, etc...)

7. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular