New Ipod classic, old computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kingebaneezer, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought a Ipod classic 160 gb today. I have had several classics including one just like this bought in October 09. (it was stolen). The new ipod needs itunes 10.7 to run. I have 10.6.3 running on a 2007 MBP with OSX 10.5.8. So i can't install itunes 7 and I can't install a new OSX because my old MBP just can't handle it. My old Ipod classic 160 worked just fine on my old setup. I am still 6 months away from a new mac, and although this one is slow it still works. I am about to return the ipod until I upgrade but have a vacation coming up with 40 + hours of driving and really want my music and books for the ride. Any way to get around this?

2. macrumors 65816

Does anyone in your family or friends have a windows computer you can hook up an external drive with your music on it? Then you just get all your songs into the iPod and wait out the next 6 months until your next Mac..

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I am borrowing a raggedy Toshiba laptop. I have it networked with my mac. It is very slow going but it will work. I also found out my MBP can handle up to Lion but I would have to spend the $20 on snow then $20 on lion and snow has to be mailed out on a CD. I don't think it will be worth the $40 and it will slow down my already ancient machine. Thanks for looking but I think I have done all I can do....

4. WMD
    macrumors regular

Snow Leopard shouldn't slow your machine down any. Requirements-wise, it's about the same as Leopard.