Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronjacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
I just bought a new iPod (60GB) and plugged it into my iMac, which runs OS 10.3.9. The iPod just flashes a red circle with a diagonal slash through it and says "Do Not Disconnect." Meanwhile, iTunes does not indicate that anything is happening. There is no flashing orange light on my iTunes shuffle, which, I'm told, indicates things are working. There is absolutely no indication that anything is happening. What's up? Thanks.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
when you open iTunes is it there?

have you reset the iPod?

why haven't you gone to the iPod 101 website for the love of god?

have you checked disk utility?

have you tried a different port?

have you run the iPod software update?

have you formatted your iPod?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
What you need to do is follow the steps in the documentation exactly - it's been almost a year since I got my iPod, so I can't remember exactly what to do, but there should be a "getting started" chapter in the iPod documentation.

Then, if your iTunes still doesn't notice the iPod, try the five steps laid out here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

ronjacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
eva01 said:
when you open iTunes is it there?

No.

have you reset the iPod?

Yes.

why haven't you gone to the iPod 101 website for the love of god?

I didn't know about it.

have you checked disk utility?

No. I have never had a problem before, so it didn't occur to me.

have you tried a different port?

Yes.

have you run the iPod software update?

Yes.

have you formatted your iPod?

The truth is, I don't know. I put in the CD, followed the instructions.

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. I'll slink off to the iPod101 website. Sorry to hear about your continuing illness. I hope things start turning around for you.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Applespider said:
iTunes can only use one iPod at a time. If you're plugging in both at the same time, take one out!

what do you mean by use? I have two iPods in right now and can add music to both at the same time. But if you mean upgrade firmware then yes only one iPod at a time can be in use.

Applespider

macrumors G4
eva01 said:
what do you mean by use? I have two iPods in right now and can add music to both at the same time. But if you mean upgrade firmware then yes only one iPod at a time can be in use.

Interesting... last time I tried, it was either the Shuffle or the 4G iPod. Putting both in, it told me I could have one or other - and I wasn't upgrading firmware at the time.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Applespider said:
Interesting... last time I tried, it was either the Shuffle or the 4G iPod. Putting both in, it told me I could have one or other - and I wasn't upgrading firmware at the time.

maybe it is something with the shuffle, because i have a 3G and 4.5G iPod in right now.

and if i go to iPod preferences i get a drop down for which iPod to change the options on

doug.hall

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
London
Don't know if this will help you but if I ever have problems with my mac recognising any device, ipod, camera or whatever the way I resolve it is to plug the devie in, turn it on and then reset the device with the device still connected. THen open the app such as itunes and it shod work ok. Good luck.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Applespider said:

I've had all three of mine (3G, mini, shuffle) plugged into my iBook at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.