New iPod Feature?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lozanoj83, Oct 20, 2006.

1. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2006
    Southern California
    Hey all,
    I was fixing my friends 60 GB 5G iPod.. (not the 5.5 version)
    i was borrowing it, and i was going to watch a concert music video.. when this lil screen came up...

i then tried it with my iPod... but my screen didn't show that.. is this a normal thing.. or am i seeing things now?

in the video.. i try it on a Metallica S & M vid, but when i try it on 24.. it dosent work.. its weird..

Video Linky
  2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.

I'm sure it's just a placeholder screen to show that the video is in fact loading -- something I wish my iPod did have. I don't like the fact that the iPod drops to a black screen during the discernable delay of loading a video.

Is there anything special about the Metallica video? Was it purchased from iTunes? Is it encoded in a different manner? How large is the file -- meaning is it 100+MB, which would require the iPod to take a longer time to initiate the file?
  3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004

Well it is a cool little way of saying that "I'm being slow, so hold on a second..."

But then again, it is still saying "I'm being slow, so hold on a second...", and I'm not sure i want my iPod telling me that if it doesn't have to.
  4. lozanoj83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2006
    Southern California
    YEa.. weird thing is i try it on my Video iPod. 30 GB 5 G, and it wont show that
    I ripped it from a DVD, Metallica Vid is 2.5 GB big, so that may be the cause, but i also have some other videos in there that r like... 2 GB as well, and it dosent show that.. so idk wut could be with it.. i encoded it with Handbrake.. @ 800 sumtin.. for the bitrate
  5. tombarnes macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    Cornwall, United Kingdom
    I've seen that on my 5G iPod aswell! Quite a while ago, i think it happenes when you catch your ipod on an off day.

Tom :)