New iPod Game: Brain Challenge

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has released a new iPod game called Brain Challenge (iTunes Link).

[​IMG]
    The game is available for all iPods that are compatible with iPod games, including the 5th generation iPod, 3rd generation iPod Nano, and iPod Classic.

Brain Challenge is published by Gameloft and is available for $4.99.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

$5.00 games? Geez, when is it February so we can get some good free games?

3. macrumors 65816

That's nice. But I could really use some games for my iPhone :mad::(

4. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Very nice..I'll have to check it out. But where is it for the iPhone??? :rolleyes:

EDIT: NewSc2 you beat me to it.

5. macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Who says the apps from the SDK are free? ;-)

6. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Sounds like a Nintendo DS knockoff.

7. macrumors 65816

lazyrighteye

Exactly.
    iPhone apps represent HUGE revenue stream(s) for developers and their efforts will not (nor should not) go uncompensated.
    Thus, consumers will pay for their products... possibly via iTS, to help Apple maintain a high level of control.

8. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

IS a Nintendo DS knockoff. Seems a little early to be ruffling Nintendo's feathers...

9. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

lol

i sent this in

rip off nintendo!

10. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Those brain training games are for a number of systems, including the Wii and PSP. I've played a couple for the Wii and DS. They're kind of addicting. If it's anything like those $20 games, $5 is worth it.

It seems like they're trying to go after current popular franchises, which makes sense. I wonder how long before some primitive kind of MMORPG makes it's way onto a future iPod. It's just too bad that the controls are so limited, although no one buys an iPod as a game system.

11. macrumors 65816

japanime

Why is it that Apple isn't releasing games for the iPhone, which Steve claimed to be "the best iPod ever"?

I would buy this game in a second if it was available for my model.

12. macrumors 68000

cal6n

I'll have an "E" please, Bob!

13. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

They need to start making these games portable to the iPhone and iPod touch. I have purchased 2 or 3 games that I no longer play because I can not use them on my iPhone.

14. macrumors 6502a

This has been announced for February 2008

15. macrumors 6502a

Nope. The original Brain Training and Big Brain Academy games are Nintendo exclusives. I have more recently noticed a few knockoffs for Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems.

16. macrumors 65816

like everyone else says, FARKING USELESS to me. I bet it would be awesome on the iPhone and Touch, but oh wait, we can't have apps for it. It's too tough to code for and therefore we don't trust you.

17. macrumors 65816

Uhm... the SDK has been announced - it's coming in February. Were have you been?

18. macrumors 65816

I wasn't aware that software developers get free houses, free food, and free everything else.

Do you do your job for free?

19. Retired

psychofreak

February is not NOW, and the iPhone is here NOW...

Apple should have had an SDK out by now, and people want games now...

20. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Ha, I bet "Guitar Idol" is next!

21. macrumors 65816

Who said I didn't hear that? I know, knew, and heard the announcement the same day you did. I'm a macrumors member after all, I'm sure we all hit the main page daily, if not more.

I just think it's BS. But I'll wait for another 3 months or more and see if Apple is kind enough to give us this game.

22. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Nintendo did not create the handheld brain exercise game franchise, though. These games have existed on other mobile devices, Tiger Electronics handheld games, those big TI calculators, and if you wanna get really ancient:

[​IMG]

23. macrumors G4

I write software for a living. And yes, when I'm not working, sometimes I'll write some software that I'll make available as Open Source. I've done some utility software and some device drivers that way.

Sometimes when I am working and getting paid, I work on stuff that can be released as Open Source. For example I'm working on a system for routing error messages right now. There is no rason not to give this away. With luck some ne else will improve it and contribute the changes back. We all win.

And what about Linux, Solaris and BSD. Three entire operating system all available for free. As above some programmers got paid some did it as a hobby. I think about half of Mac OS X is free software that Apple is re-using

I think if you wanted a free game right now you could write something using java script right now. Why not try?

24. macrumors 603

True, but it is hard to argue that Nintendo didn't contribute to their re-surging popularity.

25. macrumors 6502a

Brain Challenge (the name is even similar) is described as having 5 game categories, encourages daily practice with the Brain Daily Test (5 random 3-minute mini-games), includes stats and graphs to track performance, and features a virtual person in the logo who speaks in comic-book bubbles during menus. And, the games themselves having a very similar flavor. All in all, it's remarkably like Brain Age with a few elements of Big Brain Academy. These are not very similar at all to the Pocket Simon you pictured.

If you don't see why so many people are calling this a knock off (and Nintendo is clearly behind the current popularity of these kinds of games) I have to think you aren't familiar with the games themselves.