New iPod-Generation - when do you expect it to be released?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TobyM, Aug 16, 2005.

1. macrumors member

sorry in advance...
    i know that this is a question which has been asked a hundred times a day here...
    but i really need your help guys.

my ipod photo 30gb fell on the floor today and doesnt work anymore... and it´s so sad...i bought it just one month ago.
    i´d consider buying a new one with my last money ;) but you know how it is, everybody heard the rumors of a new generation coming soon.

what i´d like to know now is not when the 5g´s will come out (cause i know, nobody knows that)...but how it was in the past: after how many time were generation 2, 3 and 4 released? how long were the previous generations on the market?
    as the 4g was released july 2004 and the photo last fall (right?), it´s been about a year without a new generation.

another question: what are the next dates where new generations could be presented?
    i heard about the paris expo next month...are there any more dates?

i´ll definitely wait for the next generation and would be very happy if it would be the ipod video...but i´ll buy it anyways.
    it would just be nice to know what you think, definitely more expert than me, when it could maybe be expected.

2. macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm also waiting for the next generation so that I can replace my mini. I'd really like to have it before the start of the school year. I know that there is this Apple Expo in Paris sometimes in September. Maybe it will be released then?

3. thread starter macrumors member

many people expect some ipod releases for the paris expo.
    i also think that some new ipods will be released there, but maybe "just" minis with color display or some new shuffles.

what i´m waiting for (from today on :( ) is the real 5th generation.

does anybody know some other possible dates where steve could announce the "one more thing"?

also, i´d still like to know after which amount of time the new generations were released in the past. i havent found anything yet about that.

4. macrumors 68020

5. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

It's like everything else, no one knows for sure. It depends on how well the current iPod incarnation is doing and how well it is withstanding change and evolution. To be fair the current 4G iPod seems to be doing really well. In order to improve it something very big may have to come out, such as video etc (see other threads!), so I'm not sure when a big enough change will come out for the next iPods to be referred to as 5G. Some resellers are falsly branding the current iPod updates as 5G (the ones with colour screens in all of them now), when Apple has clearly stated its still 4G. I'm not sure what Apple can do to the current 4G iPod to make it better and class it as 5G without adding something big and different.

6. thread starter macrumors member

thank you all for your replies so far.
    it really seems hard to guess when the 5g´s come out, as ipod videos have been expected over and over again within the last months.

but it would be interesting for me to know how it was in the past, after how many months apple released a new generation, that the 3g was released 12 months after the 2g came out, for example.
    just to see what´s the average time of an ipod generation so far.
    i´ve been searching the web but didn´t find anything so far.
    does anybody here know the release dates of the first 4 generations?

7. macrumors 65816

stridey

Check out the Buyer's Guide for that information.

8. macrumors regular

I've gotta agree w/ Gil on the point that it all depends on how well iPods are doing.
    Now, since currently iPods bring in about 1/3 (i believe) of Apple's income, there really is NO point in coming out w/ a new iPod in the near future. Apple may move to iPod VIDEO but that doesn't constitute calling it fifth generation. The trend w/ generations seems to be the overall DESIGN of the iPod, not the SOFTWARE.

At this point in time, seeing how well apple is doing w/ the 4gs, it's safe to assume that a fifth generation iPod will hit stores any time soon but RATHER a Videopod/color minis/shuffles with screens or whatever enhancements you want to give the current iPod line MAY be introduced to FURTHER BOOST or SUSTAIN profit. But there's no point in quitting while you're at the top.

As for a prediction for relative purposes, When MS or Sony or some other tech brand comes out w/ a SUPERIOR (popularity-wise) mp3 player, look forward to a new iPod

9. thread starter macrumors member

thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

so it is:
    07/2002: 2nd gen
    04/2003: 3rd gen
    07/2004: 4th gen

hope i got that right.

that means a new gen every year until now.
    i hope there will be a new gen soon, it will be a very hard time ipod-less...already had a 4g before my photo which got broke today...i think i really got used to it :(

10. thread starter macrumors member

i thought that we maybe have this situation already, with creatives zen vision which made quite a good impression on me, especially when it comes to playing video, also with a quite nice design. sony seems to have improved too, regarding their latest hd-players.

don´t you think it´s apple´s turn again to react and build in some new features -> come out with a new ipod?
    the photo- and color display-feature on the ipod is a year old and standard on almost any hd-colorscreen-player.
    sure, nothing sells near as good as the ipod (and maybe never will), but i think it´s time for some innovation.
    and not just because i´m waiting for a new ipod because i crashed mine today ;)

11. macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Wait, what? New iPods were released just a month or so ago. Apple is not going to update them again anytime soon. Maybe the minis will be updated before the end of the year, but not the iPods. Why don't you just buy one now? It seems like the perfect time to me.

12. macrumors 68020

killuminati

They didn't release new iPods, they just merged the iPod and the iPod Photo lines.

13. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Indeed. They could still easily bring out bigger updates.
    Yes you do raise a good point here. I brought my iPod photo the day it came out last year. It's not quite a year old just yet. Maybe they will release newer/better/improved/next gen ones in the November time again when the iPod photo first came out.

Apple has been stringing these, in comparison, "minor" updates/tweaks to the iPod line for a while, it would make sense (and help our cold turkey!) to bring out, as you say, something new and innovative. Personally I hope they do. I would really hope something big comes out the iPod before the year is out. I think the 2 biggest dates (unless anyone wants to throw some more in) for possible iPod updates will be upcoming September in Paris and the November time as last year with the iPod photo.

But as always, you never know with Apple. That's why we love 'em!

14. macrumors regular

The reason iPods are selling so well is no huge secret. All the 4g is is a high-capacity mp3 player w/ an ingenious design (<-- that's the seller). You look at the leading competitor (probably the dellpod) and it looks like CRAP. It's got this scrolling button thing in the middle of it which is no step up from anything. then their menu is extremely subpar relative to the iPod menu (it doesn't matter whether or not MS is trying to patent..it means crap). iPods do well becasue they look so freaking good. They're extremely user-friendly (except for when they break) and they came out w/ no competitor to begin w/. pre-iPod 4g, most people were still on CDs
    Concerning Color/HD screens: I actually kinda liked the iPod w/out the color screen! I don't need a HIGH DEFINITION SCREEN to LISTEN to my music thank you very much. I'm fine w/out seeing the album art. In fact, sticking an HD screen in to an iPod right now would probably do WORSE than how they're doing right now.
    HD+iPod= $$$+maintenance
    Face it, HD is going to be more expensive than the LCD screens they have right now. Plus, since High definition viewing is still relatively new, it's VErY high maintenance.
    iPods are mainly for MUSIC. If you want to watch shows/slideshows on your iPod, you still won't NEED HD. It's a 2x2" screen, you don't need HD for a 2x2 screen.

15. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

HD screens in an iPod??? Whooa there tiger! :eek:

I'm still a bit confused on the whole HD screen thing in general and there are quite a few threads about it, but I'm pretty sure you can't get a proper HD screen on an iPod, let alone want one! (**Ducks, anticipating the technical onslaught about HDs!**)

Yes HD is high maintenance and I don't quite think its reached the consumer level of the iPod just yet. Don't want the iPod too complex and, as you say, in for maintenance and repair constantly!

I agree with you about the colour screen saying some people don't need to look at the album art etc, but the main reasons why I like my colour screen so much is:
    1. Photo capabilities: I do use it quite a lot
    2. Improved interface: (Main point) The colour screen adds an extra sharp experience to using an iPod, even if its the same old navigation and usage you do with the old monochrome iPods, it just feels so much better and more enjoyable with a colour screen. (To me anyway)

I also agree with you about the reasons the 4G is doing so well, the design, interface and usage is simply superb, and why it makes it hard for us all to predict when a new one will come out, despite a yearly trend appearing to those previous dates.

16. macrumors regular

Moviepod

I'm pretty sure that HD in an iPod is COMPLETELY do-able, looking at the future of mobile computers (roll-out computers w/ completely streaming data). but again, the monitary aspect (on the consumer AND the producer) and the maintenance strikes out HD for a while.

Actually, a thought just struck me.

My prediction for 5g iPod:
    taking note of the up-and-coming switch from DVD to HD and blue-whatever it is, I'm thinking that iPods will move in the general direction of the PSP. That is, being able to watch movies, etc. Not only would there be an iTunes MUSIC store, but a MOVIE store, as well.
    Think about it:

Apple has already proven that 60 gigabytes of storage in a sardine-case is POSSIBLE. If Apple were to offer MOVIES in a condensed Apple format- or at least an apple encoder for dvds/hds (perfect for viewing on a 2x2 screen), one would not only be able to have 10k songs at their fingertips, but their movie collection on there too! a DVD usually isn't much more than a couple gigs (and that's for Large-screen quality). A small version could probably fit under a gig a piece.

And everyone knows about apple working w/ google recently as well as google investing in Electric Outlet internet. I would'nt be surprised at all if video.google.com would somehow work in to a new 5g iPod fully capable of watching movies. Hell, throw in TV too! if verizon can do it on their phones, why not an iPod!

Damn, I started off reading this post as if nothing substantial would come for a while, but maybe we'll get and iPod w/ streaming video capabilities.

For now, though, I'll just keep dreaming :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 604

zap2

a 5th g , not for a long time cuz the 4.5g juts came out, a new mini ,some time in jan becuz the first mini update look over a year, there is room for a "new iPod" at the 499 and 599 price perhaps a video iPod ( yes i know what Jobs said but!) i could see it , or an iPod that had a new feature and that one thing makes it VERY different from the current iPod, so different that it would have something else in its name with iPod.

18. thread starter macrumors member

in my opinion, there are just a little too many rumors in the last time, regarding an upcoming release of new ipods, maybe with video support.
    is that "normal", so many rumors about a new ipod release?

the patent thing, which is now including "video", then the rumors about an upcoming video store...you know them all, of course, better than me, i guess. i mean, thats the macrumor-site :)

i don´t accept the last ipod update as an update, they just merged the two ipods to one ipod, without the "photo", and i think they just freed up space for an new called ipod, maybe "video".
    also, the gap between 20 and 60 gig seems way too big to me.
    the first thing i thought was: ´hey, a 40 and 80 gig "special-ipod" would perfectly fit in between.´

so the next possible updates could be paris in september, then november (which event?) and then january (macworld?), right?

19. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ok, wasn't sure. But incase we're on about different aspects, I was referring to a HD screen on the actual iPod, not HD content inside the iPod and the iPod being able to stream HD content out of it to, say, an external display/TV. Just to clarify!

I agree with your prediction points, highly viable! Oh how Apple spins it's wheel!!
    Not sure if they class that as a 0.5G increase from 4G, if they even have decimal points in their generations!

I agree with TobyM, the last update wasn't really an update, more a line intergration and price shift, nothing new.

20. macrumors regular

Wait, ITunes video store is a spreading rumor? Damn, I thought I was being original :(

21. thread starter macrumors member

oh...i´m not completely sure about that.
    you already can buy music videos, right?
    but some kind of a movie store would be nice :)

there just HAS to be something like that in itunes 5, which can´t be that far away.
    also, itunes 5 has to be released together with ipod 5 :)

22. macrumors regular

Wait, can you buy music videos? I thought they were used promotionally w/ purchase of cds off of ITMS...

23. macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Yes I believe they are, you are right. You can get them with some albums when you buy the whole album, not on their own and they're not that easy to find at the moment. But yes it would be nice to have a iTMVS.

24. macrumors 603

Warbrain

The 5G will come out this year, without a doubt. You don't think Apple would wait until it was closer to Christmas time in order to maximize the profit a bit? Wouldn't surprise me at all. So what if they just merged the photo and iPod lines, that was a minor update like with just regular size updates with the 3G iPods. It's gonna happen before Christmas, but after iPod mini updates.

25. macrumors 601

eXan

I think that 5th gen will be released around the same date the iPod photo and was released. I hope it will be video iPod! :D