Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
i think there are many indications of an upcoming ipod release: the merging of the ipod lines, reducing "ipod photo" to just "ipod" to free up space for another "special" ipod (and of course the strange gap between 20 and 60 gig)...so that two ipods would exist together, a cheaper one for people who only want to listen to their music, and a more expensive one, maybe with video abilities.
i think video podcasts on the ipod would be very funny :)

also, itunes 5 will most apparently be released within the next months, and with that big version jump i really expect some major changes. a video store could be that change. i think it should be something big für version 5.
imo, it´s also likely that a new ipod is released with v5, as it was with the 3rd gen ipods and itunes v4. a new ipod that supports the new features of itunes 5.
maybe there are only some new color minis or new shuffles presented at the paris expo, and then in november itunes 5 and a new ipod...
i´m waiting...no ipod till gen 5 ;)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
cwright said:
The 5th Gen iPods will be released the day after I upgrade my 15gb 3rd gen iPod ;)
Elrond39 said:
Which, more than likely, will be the same day that I update from my 3rd gen 15GB.
So it's you two's fault that we're waiting for a 5G iPod! Upgrade already! :p hehe....I jest. :eek:

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Gil_Grissom said:
So it's you two's fault that we're waiting for a 5G iPod! Upgrade already! :p hehe....I jest. :eek:

Oddly enough I'm also waiting to upgrade my 15Gb 3G iPod to a 5th too.

Though I'm not upgrading till then .....
so....
no 5th gen iPod?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
Oddly enough I'm also waiting to upgrade my 15Gb 3G iPod to a 5th too.

Though I'm not upgrading till then .....
so....
no 5th gen iPod?
Darn it!
:p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:

*slowly raises hand in a sheepish manner*

3G 15GB iPod owner also waiting to update.....

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Chundles said:
*slowly raises hand in a sheepish manner*

3G 15GB iPod owner also waiting to update.....
The conspiracy deepens!

How much are Apple paying you then? Something you know about the 4G that we don't eh?! :p

No 5G iPod soon then!! Anymore?! :rolleyes:

Its a good job I'm happy with my iPod photo! :p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:
The conspiracy deepens!

How much are Apple paying you then? Something you know about the 4G that we don't eh?! :p

I know I don't like the choice of sizes or that grey click wheel, but, Mr Grissom, I am sorry for delaying this well-needed update to the iPod line.

;)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Chundles said:
I know I don't like the choice of sizes or that grey click wheel, but, Mr Grissom, I am sorry for delaying this well-needed update to the iPod line.

;)
All is forgiven! ;) I hope you all enjoy your new 5G iPods when they come out! And let me know how much better they are to my photo! :rolleyes:

Spread the happiness!

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
That's four of us now holding back the 5G update with our 3G 15gb iPods.
...(***busily trying to convince Apple to stop support, iTunes and iTMS intergration for all 3G 15Gb iPods under the cover of darkness, for the good of all podkind***)...

:cool:

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Gil_Grissom said:
...(***busily trying to convince Apple to stop support, iTunes and iTMS intergration for all 3G 15Gb iPods under the cover of darkness, for the good of all podkind***)...

Hahahahaha,

yeah we'll see about that.

Maybe a top secret underground community will emerge of people hacking theirr 3G iPods to work with iTunes and stuff after you succeed.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I'd love a 100gb photo ipod to replace mine. I have 100gb of music and would like to use the digital camera USB cable to download pics from my Digital Rebel XT as well. I figure 100gb would be a great size to hold more than plenty music, tons of pictures, and still have lots of left over space to use it as a portable hard drive...nowadays I tend to use it as a hard drive more than an mp3 player :eek:

But knowing Apple they'll probably top out at 80gb... and video would be kinda cool, but I don't know if I'd really use it that much. Besides, if I added a bunch of video to the mix, I might need a 200gb iPod! :)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Sharewaredemon said:
That's four of us now holding back the 5G update with our 3G 15gb iPods.

+1 third gen 30GB owner. I'm waiting for 5th gen too, though a hard drive bigger than 60GB may sway me...

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
Hahahahaha,

yeah we'll see about that.

Maybe a top secret underground community will emerge of people hacking theirr 3G iPods to work with iTunes and stuff after you succeed.
Maybe! But I run a tight little ship around here! A proper Apple mission, we're not talking Microsoft here! :p

Cwright, I agree with you about hard drive space. I have a friend with a 3G iPod, the 15Gb I think (Another none-upgrader! :mad: ***mumbles***! :rolleyes: .). He always said that anyone with a bigger hard drive was stupid and either didn't need it or was sad enough to have that much music. Well apart from my iPod being the lowest spec photo at the time of release (40Gb not 60Gb) he can't complain at me too much! But the space does come in handy! I've been approaching half full for ages, but now suddenly with the surge of holiday photos and other files I'm backing up I've almost ran out of space! I too would like bigger capacity iPods, they are just so versatile!

If I ever upgrade I would stoop to 80Gb perhaps (depends on what is on offer as you say), but would ideally like a 100Gb to make real nice use as a portable hard drive. Space has infinate uses! :)

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Originally I wanted a 4g 20gig. What I got was a 40 which suits me just fine considering I'm up to 2500 songs and over 10 gigs filled (this is STRICTLY music). And now that I'm getting my 40 replaced for a 60photo, i'll be unloading my camera on to the photo, as well. It comes in handy since I have a (relatively) high grade camera w/ a gig memorystick. On family vacations I'm going to have to switch over from unloading to the laptop and leaving them there as the laptop gets more and more heavily used. You're right-
Space has infinate uses!

In fact, when (I'm going on the -safe- assumption that apple WILL come out w/ a videopod) the video cmes out, I'll fill that sucker up too.

I'm pretty sure as time goes on storage capacity will grow while the actual size of the storage device will shrink. I posted in a thread about new shuffles that I believe pretty soon a shuffle will have the storage capacity of a 20gig (or something of the likes)

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
i guess apple will fill up the gaps between the current ipods, when they release the 5g´s.

i recently heard there are new harddrives available soon, with 40 (single, thin) and 80gb (double, larger). is it toshiba who manucfactures the ipod hd´s? i think it was toshiba who was mentioned in that article.
so the new 40gb´s could be just as thin as the current 20gb 4g´s, that would be nice....

when i bought my ipod photo i had to choose between 30 and 60.
i mainly took 30 because it was a lot thinner...and 30gb were enough for me....but with an ipod video, i could need some extra storage ;)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
TobyM said:
i recently heard there are new harddrives available soon, with 40 (single, thin) and 80gb (double, larger). is it toshiba who manucfactures the ipod hd´s? i think it was toshiba who was mentioned in that article.
so the new 40gb´s could be just as thin as the current 20gb 4g´s, that would be nice....

Toshiba makes the current drives; this article talks about new ones, but no mention of whether Apple is a customer (I guess Toshiba are learning from past indiscretions :p )

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5045

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
TobyM said:
i guess apple will fill up the gaps between the current ipods, when they release the 5g´s.

when i bought my ipod photo i had to choose between 30 and 60.
i mainly took 30 because it was a lot thinner...and 30gb were enough for me....but with an ipod video, i could need some extra storage ;)

Nobody's making hd iPods. Somebody brought up an HD player earlier in the post, but that was dismissed as expensive, hard to maintain, and all-together useless (remember it's a 2"x2" screen)

I really don't think that the 5g is just going to be filling the gaps. It seems w/ updates to generation there are obvious design upgrades, as well as firmware. I would like a thinner, high-capacity iPod, though.

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
i didn´t mean high definition, just hd for harddrive, sorry.
i got the same opinion as you, that it won´t be just a capacity-update...what i´m expecting and hoping for is even the opposite: a design update, more capacity, and finally a big feature update with the possibility of playing video...we all heard about that :)

i just read an article about the new toshiba harddrives...sounded very interesting. (thanks for the link, that´s also an interesting article)

TobyM

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
Loge said:
Toshiba makes the current drives; this article talks about new ones, but no mention of whether Apple is a customer (I guess Toshiba are learning from past indiscretions :p )

really, is that such a secret?
i often heard about toshiba manufacturing the ipod-drives...
hasn´t anybody opened his ipod yet...it´s surely written on the drive :)

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
TobyM said:
really, is that such a secret?
i often heard about toshiba manufacturing the ipod-drives...
hasn´t anybody opened his ipod yet...it´s surely written on the drive :)

Well, I'm sure there'd be no objection (except from from you) to having you open yours up and informing us ;)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Loge said:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5045

There is no doubt in my mind that Apple was waiting for these drives to be released before doing a 5G iPod. They were announced by Toshiba MONTHS ago to the public, so Apple must have know at least last year they were coming.

I am betting on higher res color screens, 40 and 80gb versions to start, with about 18hours battery life. There will be a video feature built in, but mainly to watch music videos and such on. There will be a seperate 80gb video iPod with a better/bigger screen, etc. They wil add a 120gb version abotu 8 months after the 5G are launched.

As soon as Toshiba gets a microdrive shipping based on the new HDD technology the mini's will get an upgrade. No more 4gb, but they will keep the 6gb version at $180-200. The new one will be, and this is just a guess based on the rough data density of the new Toshiba drives, 10gb and will have a color low res (same as now anyways) display. (6gb will keep the B&W).

5G regular iPods on the selves in 3 months (Holiday shopping) OR in January so they can clear out the current models (I'm guessing on 3 months, personally). New mini's next Spring is my guess as well.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'd like to see the following:

iPod mini 6GB $199

iPod mini 8GB (maybe colour screen, haven't really decided on that yet) $249

iPod 20GB (Higher res colour screen, better battery life, white click wheel with backlit controls in white, possibly video enabled) $299

iPod 40GB (As above but using the new perpendicular HDD's so the same form factor as the 20GB, possibly video enabled) $369

iPod 80GB (As above but in the same form factor as the old 40GB B&W iPods, the 60GB is just massive! Maybe with some sort of video playback either on the higher res screen or plug into a TV) $429

Yeah the pricing gets a bit weird at the higher end but I couldn't figure out which way to go, drop the prices across the board and bring the 80GB in at the same price point as the current 60GB or keep them similar and up the price at the top end. What do you lot think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.