New iPod Headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TRK, Dec 23, 2006.

1. TRK macrumors newbie

i was wondering if anybody has bought the newly redesigned iPod headphones and how much better they are then the previous headphones which came with the 1st gen iPod videos. On a side note, I heard that if you brought in old, broken iPod headphones into the Apple store they are willing to exchange them for free. Can anybody confirm this?

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Not sure about the free exchange - I think that the iPod probably has to be under warranty and you may have to pay a fee - but the new headphones are definitely an improvement. My sister got the new Red Nano and the new headphones sounded better and were a lot more comfortable.

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I have the new iPod headphones only because I bought a 2nd Gen Nano. They're a little more comfortable but I can't really say they sound much different. I certainly wouldn't run out to buy them as a separate thing, save your money for something decent. I'm not sure I would wear the white headphones around the city and on the subway everyday either. Even though my shures are actually worth more than my iPod :eek:, I still think the black is still less conspicuous.

There are stories of people getting their headphones replaced if their iPods are still under warranty. I think this is more of a nice gesture to people on Apple's part rather than their true policy, so I wouldn't call it a guarantee.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I hate the new headphones, they sound the same as before (no complaints there), but the shape of them means they don't seem to sit as securely in my ears compared to the old ones. Personal preference, but I reverted back to the old ones very soon after purchasing a set of the new ones.

5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I've never liked either version of the standard Apple earbuds. I could never get them to fit well. I've since purchased a pair of Sony earbuds and the V-Moda Vibe earbuds, which I couldn't be happier with. If you're even somewhat serious about listening to music, I think it's a good idea to get a new set of headphones.

6. JDN macrumors 6502a

I recommend the BOSE in-ear headphones. They sound fantastic and fit really well.

7. Canerican macrumors regular

I like Shure... Bose makes really really nice larger headphones, and bigger speakers... But I think Shure is better for IEMs.

8. techster85 macrumors regular

yea...i shirked my old iPod headphones for some E3's then some E5's...now i think i'm spoiled and feel like i'm listening to tin cans when i use the iPod headphones...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In terms of erm... less expensive options, I adore the Griffin EarThumps, to which I was turned on here. I got mine for about $15 shipped on eBay, and I've been very pleased. Good sound, good fit (these are in-ears), they look good, and they come in black or white. :)

10. Canerican macrumors regular

For the price they are great. Unfortunately I gave them away to my sister they just didn't cut it for my el cheapo earphones, I used some Panasonics. I have too many sets of headphones.

1 set of IEMS, 2 over-the-ear (Sony V600, and some sick AKG's that I got for $60), and 3 sets of cheap earbuds (Apple, Sony,and Panasonic). I just love good sounding earphones when I'm with my band or recording... so its worth it.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

for anyone that knows anything about IEM's the new Bose headphones are worth around $14....ok...maybe $15, $15.20....

anyway they are crap, i agree with the post above....big speakers and big headphones-overpriced but good....:D

Shure is your bet if you are anywhere above the $30 sony headphones....
    I've had e2's, e3's, e4's and e5's...first off, dont buy the e5's....at $400 they sound really nice, better than the rest, but you dont get the full effect unless you get them custom fit (add around $100) and because they are so expensive, i don't take them out of my room because loosing $500 headphones...:mad:

the e2c's you can get for around 60 on ebay or amazon....good buy
    the e3's are the best buy by far...you can get them for around $100, they sound significantly better and are a decent value

the e4's are what i use when not in my house, they are awesome and they do the job, got mine for around 180....

btw...i got my e5's for free...hehe door prizes

...other options, B&O or Etynomic...but stay away from Bose

12. vega07 macrumors 65816

wow, you're rich!

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

or wow...let's add cost

e2=$59
    e3=$101
    e4=$179
    e5=free, but $79 for ear fitting thingy...

$418 TotaliThink that might be slightly less than than a new e5 :D

i dont go overboard on most stuff, but i DJ so i need a decent set of IEM's and i dont like using bulky things for some reasons...idn?

14. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i dont know if its been recommended but the Ultimate Ears Studio.fi 3 are good values. IMO better bang for the buck than the shures

15. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Personally, I wouldn't go back to in-ear headphones. I use over-the-ear exclusively now :D they sound great and no outside sounds get in the way of me enjoying my music (and I don't bother anyone else, no matter the volume) I have 3 pairs, and I'm using my Aiwa HP-X223 for comfort (they're big so they stay in my computer) and my Stanton DJ Pro 60 as my on-the-go headphones. Great sound

16. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

No offense, but apple really needs to get their act together in regards to their headphones. Even the Zune has far better stock earbuds.

17. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Agreed. Shoving a little piece of plastic in your ear really isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. You can really find some great and small over the ear headphones now. :)

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

there is no question that over the ear headphones are going to sound better...think about it bigger headphones means bigger drivers...etc....but for those like me that find the in ears to be comfortable, they are great. I love my shure's, the hassle of having over the ear headphones would be annoying, plus a lot of people don't like the look...i mean imagine if apple started branding the iPod with airline type headphones.

19. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I have heard that the headphones that come with the iPod are terrible.