New iPod Line Expected? (NOTHING TO DO WITH NANO)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KellerXD, Sep 29, 2005.

1. KellerXD macrumors newbie

Ahoy Appleites

I am looking into getting an iPod relatively soon here. I have no interest in the Nano or a Mini, I'm springing for a full on 60GB iPod Beast (mostly a hormone thing. Don't try to talk me out of it). But I've heard murmurs from a few people that a new upgrade to the now colorized iPods is not that far off. Anyone have any info?

I'm extraordinarily excited because tomorrow my brand new souped up G4 Lappy comes (avec Logic Express. \m/!!!)

:D

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

3. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well, it will no doubt turn out to be wrong but take a look at:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1740819#post1740819

He was pretty accurate wth the nano prediction.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I don't think a video iPod will happen, not for a long time. It's a cool-sounding idea, and knowing me, I'd want one :) ...but it wouldn't be all THAT useful to the mass market of buyers. And Steve has just recently badmouthed the idea. Not just to throw competitors off the scent I don't think: other companies have had portable video devices for months. I think all we'll get is some updated software features (like the Nano has) in an iPod firmware update that any color-screen iPod owner can download.

An iTunes video store? Maybe. Movies on your computer make more sense to the bulk of users than movies on an iPod. I do see iTunes moving more into video, as has already begun.

But it would be cool to be wrong :) If Apple DOES do video in an iPod, I expect it to be marketed as "just an extra" like photos are. Not useful to you? No problem--it's still the same great music player. That's the way to handle it I think.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Yes and he later went onto say that the earbud connector would be on the bottom which is kind of a random thing to predict if you're just guessing.

I was wondering if we may see something that was primarily a music iPod but just had the option to play the odd music video... just a gimmick to drum up some more iPod sales for Christmas.

I agree that I think a dedicated video machine is some way off.

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Hmmm... with AI chiming in, I'm starting to believe!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1298

I don't think the style will change, but the form factor may. And video may be added--but AI can't back that part up. I still don't think video will be hyped as a main reason to own an iPod. Not even to the extent that photos were hyped. But as an "extra," and something that makes the new players "new," maybe so!

Could be a Merry Christmas for Apple.

I've been doing the Dr. Strangelove ever since the Nano came out, trying not to order one... please, Apple, don't make things harder for me with a slimmer full-size iPod! (How about THAT for people complaining that the Mini shouldn't have been dropped because the full iPod is "too bulky.")

8. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

LOL Indeed. If it were a bit smaller it could pacify mini lovers and "proper' ipod lovers.

Hmmm... Now... should I sell my iPod in anticipation?!?! ;)

9. Andy C macrumors newbie

Hmmm, smaller form factor, larger capacities, colour screen and the possibiity of video playback... this may just be the time for me tp upgrade from my old 3rd gen iPod! :)

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Last time there was a big announcement (the nano) you could not find a regular iPod anywhere in my town yet the minis were piling up in the stores. Places that usually only have one colour suddenly had all the colours in both 4 and 6 gig and stacked deep on the shelves.

Now what do I see, not many 4 gig nanos (plenty of 2 giggers mind you, taunting me silently from behind the plastic wrap) and rows upon rows of regular iPods - stacks of the little buggers, everywhere!

Looks like something may indeed be going down soon. Only time can really tell.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Indeed... if Apple dropped the price on the 2gig nanos, I think they'd move a great deal more of them. At my bf's uni bookstore (yesterday), I noticed that the 4gigs were all sold out but, surprise surprise, loads of the 2gigs left. :p

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh how they taunt me so. Those slender sirens in black cardboard and plastic wrap. The glint of metal from the box, the flash of colour from the screen, it calls to me in a inhuman way. My mind plays tricks on me, hiding my coins in a place unknown to gradually build until I can resist the call no more. Till I can no longer resist the urge to break free from my self-imposed shackles binding me to an invisible mast as I pass by the stores, wandering, searching.

Damn, that's a cool post.

I'm sleepy, bed time.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Why is everyone pointing to the 7th? You know, it's a Friday and I don't think very many product launches, if any, are on Fridays.

14. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01