Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
If I had to guess, there must be supply issues with the 16GB flash chips. Else I don't see why Apple couldn't put 16GB in the nano and iPhone (instead of just the touch).

I doubt it, since a small company like Cowon can have 16gig flash player out or Creative have to devices with 16gigs of flash. This is Apple a company with a lot clout.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
You know what. They have grown on me a lot. once you actually see them, they are tiny as hell.

Ultimatetone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
Found the info, all the new models have it, although it looks like it requires a different
(and more expensive $49) cable and comes out through the dock port instead of the video port.

"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation)
and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=185CC5FE&nplm=MB129LL/A

Much appreciated Milo!

Now I just need another ($$)adapter/converter(exists?) in order to tether a 3rd Gen Nano
to the 'low-tech' composite, video-in port of my portable DVD player
(to make use of its larger screen)

Perhaps a portable DVD player with component INPUT? Doubt it. Silly me!

I gotta hand it to Jobs (sarcasm) -

While TEAL is a sweet new color
(a Turquoise and Chrome combo would have been killer)

But -

ya can't get basic black (or any other color but the silver/grey)

unless you pony-up the XTRA coin for the 8GB Nano - it figures!

lseven

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
I wouldn't say it is "incredibly smaller". It is just a hair smaller in volume than the previous nano, about 2.5%. It is also heavier:

2g nano: 3.5 inches x 1.6 x 0.27, 1.5 ounces
3g nano: 2.75 x 2.06 x 0.26, 1.74 ounces

Still of course much better, with the larger screen, video, lower price, etc. Just not smaller.

AppleiMac

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Wow, 9to5Mac gets a lot of credibility out of this one! They really have been spot on lately, from the iMac announcement, iPod Touch AND iPod Nano. Apple did everything right in this, from my opinion! They did MUCH more then expected. An iPod for everyone! :) Phoneless iPhone (for me I was expecting, but with the iPhone price drop I'm not sure), iPod Classic for those wanting a huge amount of space, Nano for those who want to watch video in a small size for a good price and Shuffle for those who don't want a lot of space or don't have the $$. Wireless iTunes? Who thought that would happen! Man, I'm pumped! :apple:

oceanzen

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Madrid, España
The click wheel looks out of place. Sort of squeezed in.

I loved the 2g version
but don't like this fat 3g
I wanted to get a Nano as my 4GB Mini had plenty of storage for me, but now I think I'll go with the touch which looks so much fun. :)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
No buy for me.

I bought the original 1G nano (black 4gigs) then bought the 2G (black 8gigs) when it was released.

I would have been all over a 16G iPod 'phat'. The touch is cool and all, but my iPod lives in my pocket where I can skip tracks and adjust volume without looking at it. The touch isn't as good an interface for day to day music listening.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Well the color is good. Much better than the leaked. But I doubt these colors are better than 2g.

Also I am glad I have 2g. These 3g only have color on one side. The other side is just metal silver mirror like... which is like... finger prints...

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Also I am glad I have 2g. These 3g only have color on one side. The other side is just metal silver mirror like... which is like... finger prints...

Which is not a worry for me since I do plan to get a protective case for the 3G iPod soon after I buy the player (I have a DLO case for my 2G nano right now).

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
is OS-X in the new iPods?

I'm unclear, is the new Nano OSX based? If it is and is also flash, what would keep you from using the Nike+ with the touch or i-phone. If it isn't, wasn't there some info about moving to an all OSX based lineup? I can see why the HDD i-pods wouldn't work with Nike+, but I'm not sure about the other flash based i-pods. Anyone want to venture a guess? :confused:
I noticed this also.

Previous to the show everyone was talking about "the new OS-X iPods."

As far as I recall (I only watched it once so far), Jobs specifically did *not* mention that the new iPods, (especially the clickwheel ones), were running OS-X. Now you would think if they just switched their entire iPod line to OS-X, they would trumpet it to the heavens, because he sure made a big enough deal about it at the iPhone launch.

Is this just a given now and doesn't need to be mentioned, or do these new iPods not really run OS-X?

Kallikinos

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Aurora
Cons: Fat and Ugly, More Memory?

Pros: It plays videos! More games for it! Bigger screen!

Even though it's fat and ugly, what do you expect if you want a good video experience. I would get one if I wasn't interested in getting an iPod touch this Christmas.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I'm so thrilled they introduced this in TEAL, my favorite color. Just wow <3
(sorry that's not "teal" it's just pastel blue)

Colour appreciation is of course subjective, but personally I think Apple should just stick to black and white products and variations of materials.

The old colours were so electric that no one with any taste, or who is over the age of 30 could seriously buy a coloured iPod. Now the colours are more subdued, but they've gone all the way to pastel!?! Pastels were really cool in ... wait a minute, were pastels *ever* cool? I don't think so.

What the heck is wrong with just normal colours? Normal red, orange, yellow, blue, or purple? The new shuffles have a few good colours, the grape and the orange shuffles are great and lots of folks would buy a nano that colour as well. While we're at it, why not use some real-life *complex* colours like strange tones of grey, or yes, even *brown* tones? :eek:

Even if the colour choice is limited due to the manufacturing process and the material, well ... the material is the same as the new shuffle and the old nano; it's aluminum. So why discontinue the old colours? Why not let people still choose that overused lime green colour from the old lineup, or let people like me go for the orange or purple colours of the shuffle?

When I first saw the new nanos today I even started to reverse my opinion of their squat ugliness and considered buying one. Then I realised that powder blue and pastel green were pretty much non-starters for anyone with an ounce of testosterone in their blood. Other than monochrome, the only other choice is a kind of "lipstick red?"

WTF!?! :confused:

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
Old nano lineup:
$149 for 2GB
$199 for 4GB
$249 for 8GB​
New nano lineup:
$149 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB​

Darn it! I bought two nano's three weeks ago... that's what i get for not having followed this site :mad: luckily, my fiance likes the new ones, aka wants one... so she won't be too upset when I buy two more (for each of us)... now if I could only explain only getting one iPod touch... :confused:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Old nano lineup:
$149 for 2GB
$199 for 4GB
$249 for 8GB​
New nano lineup:
$149 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB​
Nice price points. :)

I remember a week ago when almost everyone was making fun of this thing in forums everywhere. People saying that better not be it, and now just because Steve touched it, everyone wants one.

It was ugly a week ago and it still is.
However, last week the rumored iPod Nano was made of plastic. The actual new iPod Nano is all metal.

Anyhow, looking forward to actually seeing it. Then will decide.

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
(sorry that's not "teal" it's just pastel blue)

When I first saw the new nanos today I even started to reverse my opinion of their squat ugliness and considered buying one. Then I realised that powder blue and pastel green were pretty much non-starters for anyone with an ounce of testosterone in their blood. Other than monochrome, the only other choice is a kind of "lipstick red?"

WTF!?! :confused:

Okay, that's funny. ROFL :D The iPod touch has some testicular-fortitude ;) Unfortunately, the entry fee for manhood is pretty steep :(

Mac One

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
NZ
Cool! I like the way they made it similar to the "Classic" iPod, especially with the polished back. I'm not to fond of the Red colour though - it's too maroon. I'd probably still buy it in Red though:)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Am I the only one who dislikes the new OS? It looks ugly and cramped to me, especially with the split screens.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
So am I the only one under-impressed? Maybe they look better in person???

My first gen, black nano with chrome back positively owns the new design. I'll take long and thin any time thanks.

And the new colours? Good grief! Hideous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.