New iPod on the way

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mr Jobs, Mar 24, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

i was at an apple retailer today (one the biggest in the UK) and I’ve been told by one of the guys there they are totally out of the current ipod stock and are waiting for apple to announce the new firewire 800 iPods before they start selling it.

wait for it very soon now.

2. macrumors 65816

alset

Let's hope so. Jeez, but that means I have to go get a new Mac so I can use FW 800 (I'm just looking for any excuse, huh?). :)

Dan

3. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

I JUST HAVE TO SAY...

DOUBTFUL.

I doubt Apple will waste the money on FW800 iPods, due to the simple facts that the HDs can't handle the data rate, and Only 1 model of PowerBook, and the PowerMacs have FW800. PCs probabily won't have them for a year, so its a waste of money right know, unless a new media is involved.

My $246.01 (Just $150 till I get my new iPod)

TEG

4. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

FW800

i hope that they dont put FW800 in the new iPods b/c it's not needed, and im on an origional iMac only with FW400, and the HD will not have a fast enough rate to utilize it.
    most important up there is not needed. 10 minutes to put 5GB on anything is still fast enough.

5. macrumors 6502

The relevant thing here is the facts... not the speculation.

Fact: The Apple store in the UK is out of iPods

Speculation: The worker there assumes there will be a FW800 model.

We know there will be SOME update... soon.... ?

6. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i will see

i will see what the good people at the palisades mall apple store say when i ask them on saturday.

PS-No one is saying that new iPods are comoing out tuesday so they might. DON"T SAY ANYTHING TO JYNX IT!

7. macrumors 6502

Damn people, have you not already read the other threads?

Their coming tuesday, Mabe not this tuesday, Mabe not the next tuesday. But some tuesday in the future.

It is ignorant to think that these new iPods will have firewire 800 sense the only computers that have those ports are 2 of Apples professional grade computers. Are their ANY pc's that have firewire 800 ports? NO.

So do you honestly think that the new incarnation of iPods will be limited to 2% of mac users who have a new power Mac or Power Book? And no PC support? Thats like selling a product to 2% of the 5% of people that use macs.

Introducing the new iPod, if you havent spent at least $2000.00 in the last 3 months on a brand new Mac, TOUGH YOU CANT USE THEM.

Come on people, think and read before you start a new thread.:rolleyes:

8. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Re: New iPod on the way

Nice try, but the iMacs, eMacs and iBooks will not have FW800 yet as the original iMacs and iBooks did not have FW upon it's inception.

9. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Firewire 800 and 400 are cross compatible, if they just happen to have firewire 800, it will just come with an adapter or seperate firewire cable to use on the older machines. Given, it is a useless addon for the ipod at the wrong time.

10. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Actually Apple is selling 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cables. So you can use the FW800 devices with regular FW.

11. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Re: Re: New iPod on the way

some of the origional iMacs have FW, and some of the origional iBooks do too

12. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Re: Re: New iPod on the way

this happened a while (more than a year) after each was introduced with the DV versions.

13. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

qwll said random, unless apple ships them with that 9pin to 6pin cord which woudl be kinda weird imho.

14. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm gonna go columbine if i hear 'fw800 ipod' again on this site... i swear... IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN, YOU GUYS. i'm sick and tired of explaining it, and someone else did earlier...

:(

pnw

15. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

please don't say that thing about columbine.

16. macrumors 603

>Actually Apple is selling 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cables. So you can use the FW800 devices with regular FW. (NavyIntel007)

Are people going to buy the extra add-ons? Will purchasing the additional add-ons increase Firewire speed transfer from 400Mbps to 800Mbps or just add accessibility to the new Firewire? If this is the case, then, as paul mentioned, it will not happen.

17. macrumors 68020

OK how about USB? It should work USB 1.1/2.0 and the firewire port can do 400/800. How about that? I don't care if USB 1.1 is slow, what's important is that everybody has it already.

18. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

6pin to 9pin probably only has the speed of 6pin because it's just logical.
    i'll ask someone @ the palisades apple store when i go saturday :)

19. macrumors regular

Who cares about FW 800, the point is the UK store claims they are coming soon that is all that matters!

Mike

20. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I agree but isn't there still the issue of how fast the ipod HD is? Will it be fast enough to accomodate the 800? I dunno. I have absolutely no knowledge about how fast an HD would have to be in order to transfer seamlessly with 800.

Does anybody else know what speed an iPod HD would have to be in order to work well with the new Firewire 800? Thanks!

21. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Come to think of it, why not have Wireless iPods?

On second thought, why not ditch the entire wire issue by keeping the firewire 400 and giving it a wireless capability?

Wouldn't that be cool?

22. macrumors member

Now an iPod with Bluetooth or Airport... lovely!

23. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I think apple will use firewire 800 on them only after their whole line has shifted to fw800, it's only logical to do so, it won't stay at 400 more than a year after the whole line has included 800.

24. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Airport

that's a good idea that i haven't even thought of yet. that's a really good idea. especially with 802.11g. and even 802.11b would be good.

25. thread starter macrumors regular

why do people keep saying that fw800 wont happen because almost all apple computer have fw400. come on people go do some research, it doesnt matter their both campatiable with each other. it just like usb 1 and usb 2.

all apple is going to do is provide a 9pin to a 6pin cable, no ones asking any to buy any converter to use it with their existing mac.

after this ipod upgrade the next in line with be imacs and powermacs to come which will have fw800, this way apple with will make their ipod future proof. besides i doubt it costs any more for them to put a fw800 in the ipod over the fw400.

p.s i dont think apple will hold back on fw800 on the imacs like last time with thr fw400, you people really do have to think a little more... come on last time apple didn't have USB2 breathing down their neck, and remember USB2 can now be found even on the lost cost PC machines.