New iPod + OS X 10.2.8 (& old iTunes) = SAD STUDENT

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Simplesimon101, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

i have just brought a shiney brand new black 30Gb Video iPod (after a very long time of coverting one!) i was very excited, plugged it in to my computer but it said "you need iTunes 7 for this to work" so i went to download it but then that said i needed a newer OS for this to work.

i find this really annoying because now i cant play any of my music and have to be content with just staring longingly at it's curvy black body (which is nice but not really the only reason i bought one!). whats more annoying is that friends of mine with old PCs (much older than my G3 800MHz iBook) can download iTunes fine.

i have iTunes 4 (i've been away for about 10months so i may have missed updates that would make it all fine... but i guess i've missed them now)

please can someone answer my questions...

-is mr Jobs just trying to spite me? (why not spite the PC users!?)

-is there anyway of getting iTunes to work with my iPod without shelling out the money for Tiger? especially as i'm considering getting a new iMac within the next few months which would have it on anyway. so it seems abit silly to spend lots of money for a few months use (remember students need their money for important things like beer and curries!)

...any ideas? or should i just bite the bullet?

Thanks

2. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I'm pretty sure it says on the box that you need Mac OS 10.3.9 or later. While I sympathise, you should check these things before you buy.

Isn't iTunes 6 included on the CD? Have you tried to install that?

3. Simplesimon101 thread starter macrumors regular

yep good point.

i just assumed that that was for iTunes 7 but i could use the basic music function (maybe without the video?) but i assumed wrong

and there was no CD in the box

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The new iPods don't come with CDs, they tell you to just download iTunes from Apple.com

As for fixing your problem, i really don't know what to tell you. I know there are different progams people use because they don't like iTunes (gasp :)) so you could google and see about one of those that works on 10.2.8, but im not sure that they would support your iPod. It's worth a try.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You should be able to get Panther for very cheap, I think. It'd be a lot nicer than Jaguar, even if you're getting a new Mac in a few months.

Apple probably either wants you to upgrade, or there have been changes in the OS that iTunes make use of making in necessary to run 10.3.9 or later.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

You couldn't search around for a version of Panther?

I mean, sorry you can't use your video iPod on your 10.2.8 Mac, but you are a few years behind the technology curve, man.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Download TinkerTool from VersionTracker.com, activate hidden folders, and manually copy your music to the Music Folder on the iPod.

TEG

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I have a Tiger disc if you want it, I bought it when Tiger came out. I bought a new imac and it came pre loaded with Tiger. So, I do not need this one anymore.

9. gootz macrumors member

gootz

I did a quick ebay search and you can pick up 10.3 for like $20-$30. That's what I'd do. just my $.02

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

That won't work. iTunes uses a database file to track all of the music, so changing the files manually won't affect that file, unfortunately.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That has not been my experience. There are probably some utilities online that will copy your music correctly in 10.2. Just do a search on Version Tracker.

TEG

12. Simplesimon101 thread starter macrumors regular

Solution

thanks for all the help...

i did look on version tracker but as far as i can see there wasn't anything suitable (lots for getting songs off an iPod not much the other way around)

but i've been in touch with nospleen and he's gonna give me a copy of his, which is really really cool of him, so all looks good now. i can go on another day.

cheers again, Simon

13. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Don't forget, I still need the address.