Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
ok got my 10gb ipod today. charged it for 3 hours then plugged it into the ibook. itunes pops up and says i have too much music (duh, 35 days worth!) so i go to the ipod settings and change to manual mode it. it says i will have to dismount manually. i can handle that...

i press the eject button on the bottom of itunes and it ejects on itunes but on the ipod it still says do not disconnect after some fiddling and no avail i disconnected itt anyway and plugged it back in. it mounted in thhe finder. not in itunes. isync sees my ipod and tries to synch, but says it is unavailable and can't synch.

since then i have trashed prefs, reset ipod, restored ipod, forced disk mode and frowned heavily.

can anyone help me get my ipod back into itunes? and maybe even isynch working.... =) please!

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
As far as disconnecting the iPod, I would have MANUALLY dragged the ipod to the trash as opposed to just ejecting it..Thats the only problem I see there...As to trying to FIX it now, how about repairing permissions and SCAN to see if the iPod is facked....No history to do this, just a thought. Good luck.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
well originally it did not mount to the desktop. only itunes. then i set the manual setting and it mounts to the desktop and not itunes... now whenever it disconnect it i drag it to the trash.... and those things didn't work. repairing permissions found nothing and i have run the ipod diagnostic scan to no avail.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
#1 Make sure you are using Mac OS X 10.2.6, iTunes 4 and your iPod has iPod update 1.3 installed. If you have to update either your Mac OS, your iTunes software, or you iPod software, do so. Then try to restore again.

You may also need to reinstall iTunes 4.

#2 If you continue to have problems, try resetting the iPod using different button combinations.

Bottom + Center
Top + Center
All buttons
any combination you can think of

#3 If al else fails, even help from other sites, such as the one in my signature, you can go to your local Apple Store and have them check it out.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by King Cobra
#1 Make sure you are using Mac OS X 10.2.6, iTunes 4 and your iPod has iPod update 1.3 installed. If you have to update either your Mac OS, your iTunes software, or you iPod software, do so. Then try to restore again.

You may also need to reinstall iTunes 4.

#2 If you continue to have problems, try resetting the iPod using different button combinations.

Bottom + Center
Top + Center
All buttons
any combination you can think of

#3 If al else fails, even help from other sites, such as the one in my signature, you can go to your local Apple Store and have them check it out.

I assume this is a new 10GB iPod with the touch-sensitive buttons. To reset, just press the "menu" and "play" buttons at the same time. I've already had to reset my iPod 3 or 4 times. Sometimes the reset doesn't happen immediately and I have to keep pressing the buttons. Kinda scary! :eek:

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
it is a new iPod, ya know the one's everyone is drooling and complaining over...

always had itunes 4, 10.2.6 quicktime 6.2 installed. i did reinstall itunes 4 because someone suggeseted it.

and as i said i have done every known reset.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by melchior
it is a new iPod, ya know the one's everyone is drooling and complaining over...

always had itunes 4, 10.2.6 quicktime 6.2 installed. i did reinstall itunes 4 because someone suggeseted it.

and as i said i have done every known reset.

Did you try opening iTunes to see if it loads? Maybe it just won't autostart iTunes after the new setting, but it will update if you start iTunes manually.:confused:

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
hehe, trust me, i have opened iTunes. i have opened iTunes A LOT! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.