New iPod owner: Just got a mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rick Friele, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Rick Friele macrumors member

Picked up a blue mini from the Apple store last night along with an armband and I have a few questions.

I have both a PC (Desktop) and a Mac (iBook). I keep all my music on my PC due to having around 20 gigs. I synced my playlist in iTunes for Windows no problem, but will I be able to sync my contacts and calendar on the Mac without losing all my songs? Or can your iPod be in only one format at a time? My ideal situation would to be able to sync my music on the PC and then keep my address book and iCal on the Mac in sync on the iPod.

My other question is say I have 2 playlists I keep in iTunes that I keep in sync with my iPod (both me and my fiancee use it). If we have some of the same songs in both of our playlists, will 2 copies of the song be created on the iPod, or will it see duplicates and only copy one to the iPod?

2. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

I'm pretty sure you could specify iSync on the Mac to syncronize, and tell iTunes on the Mac NOT to syncronize. So you should be able to do what you wanted.

There will only be 1 copy of the song copied to the iPod, assuming there is also only 1 copy of the song on the PC. iTunes and the iPod both use the playlists as pointers to the library songs, and the iPod will get all the songs that it needs to fulfill your 'pointers'!

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Re: New iPod owner: Just got a mini

Concerning playlists, I would think only one copy would be kept. Keep the iPod formatted under Windows.. that way you can use it with both PCs and Macs. When you run iSync you can select that it just sync's your contacts and calendars, and not your library. So give that a try and see how it works. Keep in mind this is just a guess.. I haven't tried it for myself.

4. Rick Friele thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

It worked fine. Synced my Address Book and iCal calendar no problem.

:D