New iPod photo in my system causing iMac to crash?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frank (Atlanta), Jan 2, 2005.

1. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    Message to Moderators: Apologies - accidentally posted in wrong forum - can this thread be moved to Hardware Discussion & Help? Thx.

OK, I jinxed myself w/my last post (“Problems, problems…not”). The following literally started after my post - I've now learned not to taunt the iMac gods...

First, I have to do more research/investigation on my own, so I'm just looking for a steer (if any) to help me narrow-down my issue. I've had zero problems w/my 20" iMac G5 in my 2+ mos of ownership. Ditto w/actually using my iPod photo (i.e.: everything works fine - syncing, photos, etc.).

Issue: Since syncing the iPod w/my iMac in the last week (no iPod previously) I've had to do a physical power-down/restart of my iMac 3x in the last 3 days:
    • First two times occurred while using iTunes - received the 4-language warning message/grayed-out screen stating that I need to physically turn the machine off and restart. Everything was ok after restart.
    • 3rd restart occurred while rousing iMac from sleep – fans went full-blast and the screen was black – nothing would respond. Everything ok after reset.
    • Commonality: a)has only occurred after I’ve started syncing my iPod photo (no other system/software/equip changes) and B)(first two instances) occurred while using iTunes.

Everything was working perfectly prior to syncing the iPod - no crashes, no need to ever restart, etc. Things I've done to remedy/try to address:
    1. Restored iPod (didn't know if some conflict was causing an issue).
    2. Ran MacJanitor
    3. Verified & repaired permissions
    4. fcsk: haven't done yet, as I've been informed it requires a wired keyboard (I know, need to obtain...)
    5. DiskWarrior: haven't done yet, as I need a wired kb...
    Again, I have a bit more investigation/work to do on my part (will try to get wired kb/mouse over the next few days to run other utilities); however, curious if anybody else has had similar behavior & what you've done to address.

If I find out what's happening, I'll post back... Thanks in advance for our patience/help.

20" iMac G5, 10.3.7, 1GB, AEBS, BT
    iPod photo 60GB (w/iPod update 11/15/04 syncing w/iTune 4.7)
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    You state that its this way since syncing your iPod. Does it happen only when the iPod is plugged in, or just anytime since you started to use the iPod with your Mac?

Do you have any other firewire items plugged into your Mac? If so, unplug them. Especially if the device is an iSite. iSites sometimes cause havic, which I thought Apple fixed but mine still gives me problems when I open iTunes with it plugged in.

I personally tell people to get such things as wireless stuff as an after market add on. Since the wired keyboard has its uses.
  3. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    Thanks for the response. Happened once w/iPod in the doc while syncing, other 2 times happened while iPod not docked. No iSight... Only other FW item is a Lacie external HD.

Problem only started after I started syncing w/the iPod photo.

Picked-up a wired keyboard & mouse today and ran DiskWarrior & fsck. DiskWarrior found a few errors and corrected them. Errors didn't seem to have anything to do w/the iPod, iTunes, iSync or any iLife apps... Ran fsck afterwards and it found no problems.

I fully agree w/the need & benefit of wired keyboards & mice..

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully, DiskWarrior caught the problem.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I suggest you trash the iTunes pref file (it should be /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.iTunes.plist ) ,that might help.