New iPod: should I buy or wait? & Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UniAce, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. UniAce macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    #1
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking about buying a new 30gb iPod. I'd rather have the extra digital space from the regular iPod versus the extra physical space from the Nano.

    But I see from the Buyer's Guide here that the iPod may be due up for a revision soon. Should I hold out for a while or go for it? I don't urgently need it. Does Apple have any policy in which you can return a product if a better one is released like the next day, or are you just screwed if that happens?

    Finally, is the iPod Applecare worth it?
    Thanks
     
  2. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2006
    #2
    i bought a 3rd gen ipod (touch wheel) at best buy right after they came out. bought they 2 year protection plan with it. the day before the protection plan expired, it broke, brought it in, and got a brand new 4th gen click wheel. 10 gig upgrade!. that being said, i'd recommend buying from best buy, with the current 3 year product protection plan. They no longer do instant replacements, but they will send it off to apple for you (don't have to worry about shipping), and ship it directly back to your house/apt if you want to. its very nice. They currently have my fourth gen right now, hard drive went out on it. i have no idea about applecare though, i'm buying my first mac sometime next week.
     
  3. Timepass macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    #3
    well if you are not going to be buying it from apple directly (Www.apple.com) and buying it off the store shelf from a place like fry's or best buy get the protection plan though them because it is a lot easier and faster to get it fix or replace there than it would be to go though apple to get it fixed. Plus they ask a lot fewer question when you take it in.
     
  4. UniAce thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    #4
    Forgot to mention that I work at a university so I'm inclined to buy through Apple to get the edu discount ($270 for 30gb iPod). So unless the Best Buy type plans are a lot cheaper/better than Applecare, I'll probably go with buying from Apple (plus you geet sweet free engraving!).

    What about whether I should wait a while for a possible product update or not?
     
  5. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #5
    If you want it now, buy it now. Its inevitable that they will upgrade so just buy as you need and dont bother waiting for the next greatest thing because even that will eventually(sooner than later) be replaced.
     
  6. utah_boy2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2003
    Location:
    Middle of Utah
    #6
    Just buy the 5th Gen. You'll love it!!

    If a new one shows up it wont to much more then the last model. Its just a slight upgrade each time. 2-4 there is a big difference, but just from 2nd-to-3rd or 3rd-to-4th not such a big deal ( in my opinion).
     
  7. desenso macrumors 6502a

    desenso

    Joined:
    May 25, 2005
    #7
    A revision soon? Seems crazy.. didn't the videos just come out?

    I have a 30 gig black video and it's fantastic. The only problem: finding a great case.
     

Share This Page