New iPod Touch Coming Later This Year as a Minor Update?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this month, new references to unreleased iPad models were discovered in iOS 5, but the lack of any mention of unreleased iPod touch models led to some concern that Apple might not be planning an update to the popular line this year.

[​IMG]

But a bit more digging by iFans has in fact turned up a reference to an unreleased iPod touch model designated as "iPod4,2". The current iPod touch is designated "iPod4,1".
    What's more interesting is the use of the "iPod4,2" reference instead of "iPod5,1", suggesting that Apple considers the new model to only be a minor update to the existing iPod touch. Apple briefly used this naming convention once before in its iPod touch line when an "iPod2,2" reference showed up in iOS 3.0 betas in early 2009. No such product was ever released, however, as all of the third-generation iPod touch models released later that year carried the "iPod3,1" designation, which had also been found in the iOS 3.0 code. Consequently, it is possible that Apple could still have an "iPod5,1" in the works as the next update, but no signs of such of a device have yet been found in iOS 5.

To find an instance of Apple actually shipping an "X,2" product as a minor update, we can turn to the iPhone where Apple dubbed the iPhone 3G as "iPhone1,2", considering it a minor update update over the original iPhone despite a redesigned case and new 3G compatibility, among other changes. The iPhone 3GS released the following year interestingly warranted a major new "iPhone2,1" designation despite a nearly identical external appearance to the iPhone 3G, although the device's internals were significantly upgraded.

Article Link: New iPod Touch Coming Later This Year as a Minor Update?

2. macrumors 6502

Menopause

Cannot think of anything more they can do to that thing ! Would be interesting to see if there's any change in form factor.

3. macrumors 6502

When is a chip like the A5 simply to much power for an iPod. NEVER! Ha, ha!

My iPod wish list: THINNER! Kidding, that thin is so thin already it's silly.

But seriously between my iPad and iPhone, my iPod is kind of falling off my radar. I wonder if this is a common thing happening across the Apple customer base.

4. macrumors 601

ftaok

Would the dual-core A5 and better camera specs be considered a "minor" update? Hmm. Hope so.

5. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I have to imagine between the Iphone and Ipad, the Ipod will soon fall off the map and no longer be needed. This won't happen any time soon, but it's possible in the future

6. macrumors regular

A5 Processor
    RAM upgrade
    5MP camera

I think this would be a minor update,

a major one would be

128GB
    A5 processor
    5MP camera with LED flash
    RAM upgrade
    Magnetometer
    IPS display
    1MP front facing camera

7. macrumors 65816

I think they bump up the major revision number if the processor gets upgraded?

So 4,2 would mean it's still an A4?

But it wouldn't make sense upgrading everything else to an A5 and not the iPod touch.

8. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yet a Mac that gains a Sandy Bridge processor and useless interconnect is a "major" upgrade. :rolleyes:

Face it guys, the A5 processor on its own is a major upgrade, especially for a device like the iPod Touch which is quickly becoming a big player in portable gaming.

It means nothing. The original iPhone was 1,0 and the iPhone 3G was 1,1. Did anyone think of the iPhone 3G as a "minor" upgrade ? The 3GS had 2,1, yet everyone here berates it as a "minor" upgrade (even though it was a huge upgrade from the 3G). These numbers mean squat.

9. macrumors 6502a

As long as they update the camera, then I'm game. I'd prefer to see a new form factor like the iPhone and a better processor, but if they don't put a decent rear-facing camera in there, the update will be a waste.

10. macrumors regular

Apple has said they want to enter in to the gaming department, to compete with nintendo and sony, they surely would have to put in the A5 chip. And I really doubt they would give ipad the A5 but not the ipod touch. The touch still outnumbers the iPad in a 5-3 ratio. No sense in Apple not to upgrade a popular device.

11. macrumors regular

d0minick

Just cannot find a reason for a itouch if you have an iphone. UNLESS you have like a huge amount of music you need to store.

12. macrumors 65816

Bigger screen
    Better camera
    3G

That's all I can think of

13. macrumors 65816

well of course its only be a minor update

apple already redesigned it once.

you cant "always" re desgin a device every year. everytime you do that the entire manufacturing process has to change which is also costly.

14. macrumors member

This could be why the back to school promo was a giftcard instead of an iPod, if there's no major update they don't really have a reason to get rid of their supply.

15. macrumors 68020

Diode

Maybe the radically resigned case rumors floating around could be for the iPods - to make them look more like thinner iPhones 4's? Just a thought.....

16. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Bring on the white iPod with a decent camera. :) I have an iPod T2 currently and want to upgrade.

17. macrumors 68030

Yes, iphone should have been billed as the ipod killer:)
    Not using mine ever since the iphone came out.

Some limitations as you can't get all of your library on, but not often. So, it' s tolerable.

Just need more GB in the iphones 128 would be great.

On the other hand icloud will make ipods even more unnecessary IMO.

18. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wait, when did the iPhone replace a wireless keyboard made by Logitech ? :confused:

No, the BTS promo was a gift card because the Mac App Store doesn't seem to be doing as well as Apple hoped. It's also why Lion is going to be a MAS exclusive.

If the MAS was doing well, they would have flaunted the numbers during the WWDC keynote, like they did with the iOS App Store.

That's my take on it at least.

19. macrumors member

I concur. BETTER CAMERA number one. A5 chip would also be sweet. Other than that? Its hard to think of anything. Thinner? Ha! Any thinner, and it'd cut your hand.

Speaking of cutting...I know some mentioned that the iphone and ipad must be cutting into the ipod touches usefulness....but I am one of those who dont have or want an iphone. I travel ALOT, and just dont want to be locked into no contract. Lol.

So the ipod touch is still relevant to me. Was hoping the Student special still included a free ipod since i am also planning on buying a new Mac...but thats not the case anymore. You get a $100 gift card now.

I will wait tho until the ipod touch is updated before i nab one. The camera on the current one is just decent. Could and should be ALOT better. If sales of the touch are dropping off due to the iphone and ipad,
    there is NO reason in my mind why they shouldn't plop in a better quality camera.

Guess we will find out soon? Heh heh heh :p

20. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

NO

DUH

You... you can't be serious. The camera on the back is pathetic. The processor can be A5'd. More memory? That's just the most blatant and obvious changes, which are minor in terms of engineering, aside from the processor I mean. But, these are the logical and blatant improvements possible.

Apple doesn't need to change the form. It's fine as is. Just give us more video/picture ability and I'll be happy; I plan to buy one in September if the camera is better.

21. macrumors regular

Most people do not have an iphone. An ipod touch to complement their regular phone is why most people have an ipod touch. An ipod touch gives the feeling of an iPhone without the bloated data/talk contract for two years.

The ipod touch is not going down the drain. When the baseless hype surrounding iPad subsides and people finally realizes that it is an overpriced mobile operating system, laptops will prevail and so will ipod touches.

22. cvaldes, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

macrumors 68040

You don't get it.

The iPod touch and iPhone have different demographics. The iPod touch is mostly used by 13-24 year old consumers. The iPhone is mostly used by the 25-55 year old age group. Kids can't afford to shell out for cellular plans; you really need a job.

Steve himself said that the iPod touch was training wheels for the iPhone.

The iPod touch is not going away; it is now the top selling iPod. Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. Apple is building the next generation of iPhone owners by selling iPod touches.

23. macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Changes to the CPU arch, max RAM, max pixels, max sample rate or max CPU clock rate have all been major numbers, as these are visible to disconnected apps. Changes to the networks available have been minor number changes.

24. macrumors 603

Um the iPhone was called iPhone1,1. The 3G was iPhone1,2. Supposedly the only major change was the case design. Which is what people have began to associate with "major changes".

25. macrumors member

The relevance of the iPod Touch

I purchased the iPod Touch 2G when it came out because it DIDN'T have a phone. At the time, I didn't even own a cell phone. I now have a "dumb" cell phone because I have a 90 mile commute, but I use it maybe 1% of the time and use prepay.

I love the fact that I can browse my contact list on my iPod Touch while talking on the Cell. I couldn't do that if an iPhone unless I used a headset/earpiece.

Besides people like me who don't really want my portable browser/video player/MP3 player as a phone, there are still plenty of folks who don't want a phone contract, or are on incompatible carriers. $200 or so gets you into the game... that's doable.

The iPod Touch also provides a nice intro to iOS that the other iPods dont. If I were to get a Smartphone with a contract, it would be an iPhone. I might not have been able to say that if I hadn't had an ioverall positive experience with the Touch.