New iPod Video Problems.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by crazydreaming, Nov 23, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Hello,

My cousin is in town for Thanksgiving and he brought with him a brand new iPod Video. For the time he was here we tried to sync it with my Powerbook and put my itunes and photos and videos on it because he had hardly anything on it. I think there's something wrong with his iPod though.

1) It lags a lot between menus. Games are almost implayable because of the lag, and it is just overall not very responsive. I've had many iPods in the past and have never seen such a lag.

2) He says the battery goes dead real fast.

3) Here's the biggest problem. When syncing, it will sync a few songs no problem, then it will stop, even though iTunes says it is still syncing. It will just stay it's syncing a particular song. If you hit the X and try and stop syncing, it continues to do the same thing. Hitting eject triggers the beach ball and iTunes locks up. It won't even force quit. The only way to quit iTunes is to unplug the iPod from the USB port! This has happened countless times. Does the same thing everytime.

I tried manual syncing and it does the same thing. adds the first album or two, then shows and explamation next to the rest of the songs. Those songs are displayed on the iPod, but they don't play.

Somehow I managed to transfer my photo library.

I tried adding all my video podcasts, and they appeared to transfer fine, but after trying to play them on the iPod, there were no video files visible.

I think I'm going to have to completely reformat the hard drive. But it's a 50MB d/l and I'm on dial up where I'm am right now.

Just very wierd and annoying. Anyone have any ideas/solutions? Is this a common problem? Thanks for any help! I don't know what else to do.

2. kev0476 macrumors member

1. Well the slow responsiveness is normal with the new ipod, usually doesn't impair games though, although they are slower than usual. Main problem is when it switches a song, the album art and song title don't show up until about 3-4 seconds after it starts to play (maybe they will fix that in an update)
    2. The battery only has 2 hours of video playback if you got the 30 and if you are just watching music videos it can kill it fast because of all the switching, if it is really bad it could be a bad battery in the ipod, mine is fine but i know someone who is having trouble with their battery. (i have the 60 and my friend who is having trouble has the 30.)

Sorry don't have an answer to your last question, my suggestion talk to somebody at an apple store on on the phone.

3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Update:

Somehow, it amazingly stopped having the syncing problems and syncing properly... Well, except for videos, still haven't succedded in syncing a video. Doesn't make sense, but oh well. I think I'm going to hold onto my mini for awhile.

4. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Are you sure that the videos are in a compatible format?

5. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Well, I tried loading a bunch of video podcasts I downloaded off of iTunes. Shouldn't they work?

6. Battousai macrumors member

Not all video podcasts from iTunes are iPod compatable.

However, iTunes should tell you when a video is not compatable with the iPod while you're syncing. You can add anymovie to iTunes that you want. Then, under options, you have to set it to automatically sync the iPod with your movie folder. Finally, when you sync your iPod, if the movie files are not compatable, a window will pop up telling you so.

Transfering movies is not automatic, like music. You either have to manually drag and drop the files to the iPod, or change your options to autosync.

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

I have the 60GB Black iPod video.

I would say that the battery isn't so accurate when playing videos. Well, I can't actually see the battery while watching a video, but when I finish a video the iPod will usually have a red battery indicator, which then suddenly climbs back up to where it really should be. This always happens, not really such a problem I guess, as I still get the indicated 3 hours.

8. bcwilson macrumors newbie

Is anyone else out there having battery problems??

I'm debating whether or not to replace the battery on my 3G or get a new 5G If people are having problems with the 5G, I'll just keep my trusty 3G.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's things like this which make me want to hold off until the next rev of the video iPod to be released before purchasing one... :eek:

10. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Ye my battery is terrible, i listen to a few songs and it already loses a bar or 2, i was thinking of bringing it to apple to get a replacement

11. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I had battery problems and swapped it for a new one at the apple store and I bought it from MacConnection.

12. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Mine was too. Run the battery all the way down until it shuts itself off. Charge it completely (4hrs). Repeat.

After that, I can get through 2.5hrs of video and 14+ hrs music.

For the slow interface, disable photo and album art syncing in itunes. Update ipod. Re-enable photo and album art syncing. Update ipod. Should improve things.

-Drew

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The battery bars are not accurate. If you are afraid your iPod has poor battery life, you should actually run it from full until it actually stops and time it.

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Do you really need to do this twice? I thought it was just like your laptop when you first get it, you charge it, run it down to deep sleep (empty), then recharge and it's calibrated.

Although Apple do mention that it is important to go through at least one charge cycle per month.

15. Battousai macrumors member

I agree. My battery bar fluxuates wildly. While I'm watching a movie or browsing songs, the battery indicator will dip down into the red. Then, after I'm done ane the iPod is just sitting in standby, it goes back to the green. I've been very happy with the battery life on my 60 gig white 5g. So far its exceded the specs listed by apple

16. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Ive had my ipod for some time now, about a month. And ive charged it like 2-3 times, ( i havent been using it much cuz i dont have a case) will that still work? or duz it only work with brand new ipod 5g?

17. DreamWorld macrumors newbie

Froze On Me!! :(

Does any 1 have a problem with their Ipod vedo Freezing ??!

mine just froze , and i can't reset it , or turn it off :S

does any 1 know whats up ?! pls

18. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Actually, if his iPod has a lot of world clocks, that will definitely cause the lag in between menus and games.

19. vancity604 macrumors newbie

Whenever i got to my selceted song, the screen goes blank!! Whats going on? The only thing appears is the album art.

20. alamar macrumors member

i'd take it back, assuming you don't have linux on it...
    edit: of course the first thing to look at is weather or not the hold switch is engaged and also make sure your using the right key combo to reset it as it has changed atleast once over the years.

Also, take it off power and let it cycle down over the course of god knows how long, that will reset the thing for sure.

21. josman macrumors newbie

Me too

--Twice now, mine has finished the video I was watching, then it just went to blank black screen and became non-responsive. The only way I have found to correct this is to let the battery drain all the way down.....then when I plug it in to the USB connector, it powers-up and is fine.

Very annoying when you are counting on the iPod for entertainment on a flight and it just decides it doesn't want to "play" anymore.

22. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Wow..I was wanting the next revision of the ipod video, but these stories are scaring me!

I actually played with an ipod video at comp usa and the lag was horrible!
    What's Up with that??

23. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Press the middle button repeatedly when a song is playing - you will cycle through screens for the volume, the scrubber, the rating and full-screen album art.

24. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

25. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I actually have the same problem and 1) + 2) and im using 1.1 Software Update, however my friend is using 1.0 Software and his is fine. I've requested a new iPod from Apple and hopefully i will get it :D