New iPod with USB 1.1

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Alasta, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

My G3 iBook has only Firewire and (as I understand it) USB 1.1 ports. I am concerned that the current iPod and iPod mini both require USB 2.0 or firewire according to the system requirements.

Am I correct that Apple no longer supplies a firewire cable as part of the standard package? If so, would it be possible for me to use the bundled USB cable with my USB 1.1 Macintosh, or will I have to fork out extra dosh for the firewire cable?

I realise that transferring over USB 1.1 would be painfully slow but, because I'm planning on replacing my Macintosh in the next few months, I'm quite happy to put up with slow transfers in the meantime. If I would need to buy extra accessories to get a new iPod to work with my current Mac, then I would probably rather wait until I get a new Mac before I go ahead and buy a new iPod.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Of course you can use the USB cable with old USB ports. Like you said, though, it's going to be slow, but if you're willing to put up with it until you get your new computer, then it seems like it won't be a problem.

I even use a USB cable sometimes when it comes to using my iPod since I don't feel like pulling the Firewire cable out of the power block since I have the all-in-one Firewire/USB deal.

3. Alasta thread starter macrumors regular

Alasta

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I suspected that this would be the case, but I'm surprised that the system requirements don't say 'USB required, USB 2.0 recommended'. It would be far less confusing.

4. digidrums macrumors newbie

I have a friend with a PC (maybe I should be in the WinRumors site!) and he says his iPod doesn't work at all on a 1.1 port.

Alasta - Have you got yours to work with your iBook?

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

When I first got my iPod mini I used usb 1 and it wasn't as slow as somepeople make it up to be.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My iPod worked with a PC and USB 1.1 but it comes up with a little bubble saying it could run faster. Every now and then when I have to reinstall XP, I forget to put in the USB 2.0 drivers, start updating the iPod and...

...40GB later...

How cool is Windows!