New iPod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AWishForNoOne, Jan 13, 2003.

1. macrumors member

I know this has been overdone but I was wondering what people's predictions are for the next iPod or iDigitalDevice and when they think that it will be coming out? ( I've been waiting to get one... even though they're really good already.)

2. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the only possibility i see would be firewire 800, but i heard that the ipod's hard drive wouldn't be able to handle that fast of transfers...so i kind of doubt any changes to the ipod in the near future...and no other devices

3. macrumors 6502

digital1

I will take a stab at this. I think at most bigger Hard Drives, and Color screens. Perhaps we will see the ability to do more with data input into the device(bad shot in the dark, I know)
    Just my 2 cents.

4. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Go buy an iPod. i did two days ago and i love it. The odds of them implimenting a color screen (it's make it bigger and more expensive) are very small, and there are currently no larger 1.8" drives on the market. Firewire 800 is NOT going to happen until drives get fast enough to use all of the bandwidth of firewire 400, which could be a while.

I think the people expecting an iPod update are in for a disappointment. At most, i could see a software update for it. I'd kill to have the ugly font Chicago off of it, replaced by Skia or something...

:)
    pnw

5. macrumors regular

I am hoping for the same thing, a reduced price and maybe AAC suuport on the iPod. Anyone out there have an inside track on any revisions? I hear rumors of Jan. 25th with iLife but I am skeptical. I want a 20 GB iPod so badly I can taste it, I mean hear it :D

Mike

6. macrumors member

cliffm

I just ordered a 20 gigger and now am wishing I would've waited a bit more. Releasing an updated ipod the same day as Ilife make sense. Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :eek:

7. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I doubt that the iPod will get a color screen anytime soon. I could be wrong but. I think that the color screen would be neat, but I don't think that it needs to be on there. I would think that it would raise prices. And I don't want the prices to go up any more. I am hoping for some price drops on Jan. 25, because I would really like to have an iPod. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

8. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Backlight like...what? like the whole case lights up? no thanks, i like my battery drain just the way it is :) the screens themselves are already backlight, you know :)

and isn't AAC support done through software?

pnw

9. macrumors member

i have a 20 giger and i love it, the only thing i would change on it is the font and the back. i hate the chrome, although it looks nice its hard to keep fingerprints off it. titanium would be nice.

10. macrumors 6502a

Best damn font ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I also bought an iPod :)

11. macrumors member

cliffm

Backlit controls like the 17" PowerBook Keyodard.

12. macrumors 6502

Well. . .

In my opinion, in the dark, it's not hard to feel my way around 5 different buttons. . . Sounds more like a niché thing to me, it would simply drain the battery and the affordability. . .:(

13. macrumors member

cliffm

How about the ability to record? an on board mic for recording lectures? Good for sleeping in class :eek:

14. macrumors regular

yes, yes, yes! line in, mic in, and a built in mic!! please!!!!!! that would make it the perfect device for me! but i think i will buy one anyway sooner or later....

15. macrumors member

yeah whats the deal w/ the no line in jack. that disappointed me

16. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Aluminum iPods would probably be neat looking, but I still like the looks of the white iPod. I don't really think that the white is boring.

17. macrumors member

cliffm

Well, Apple sent me email stating my 20gig Ipod was delayed until the 22nd.

With the 5 gig Ipod being delyed on thier site.. hmmm

Something is going on over there.

18. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

A BIOS update that allows the ipod to read ogg files would be nice.

19. pmh
    macrumors newbie

Hear no evil

What I'd like to see is the ability to record (the lecture) while I'm goofing off listening to something more interesting...

20. macrumors 6502a

iChan

OLED

I would like to see Apple make use of OLED or some other new high res, low power consumption display technologies...

these techs are best used in small devices like mobiles phones and ... IPOD!!!

21. macrumors regular

Yes, that would be very nice. Should be quite doable, and I believe Apple are building ogg support into QT (you can already add it yourself).

As has already been suggested audio would be nice. How about date tagging audio and typing it back to iCal when you sync? Record a meeting etc.

22. macrumors 6502a

I'm REALLY tempted to grab a 20 gigger

do you guys think I should hold off for now though?

THANKS!

23. macrumors member

iPod with PDA like features

I know some folks won't be too excited about this but I would like to see an

iPod with a touch sensitive screen and a stylus so calendars, contacts, and

to-do-lists could be updated on the iPod throughout the day. I guess it

would just become a PDA that plays MP3's but it would be much better than

any of the other similar items on the market today.

24. pmh
    macrumors newbie

iPOD with Bluetooth

Now that would be REAL nice. Trade music with a PB/12,15,17 or other BT enabled iPOD's. Of course these music sources would be auto-discovered using rendezvous, and perhaps advertise what music they were willing to share.... So you walk into a room, and can "see" the other iPOD's via Bluetooth and Rendezvous. An negotiate music transfers with them. All wireless of course.

Oh yeah.

25. macrumors member

Re: iPOD with Bluetooth

nice idea, but Bluetooth is slower than usb 1.1, so music transfers will take forever (well, not forever, but when you're used to fireweire it's really really really slow)