New iPods and iTunes 4.9

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by timmyb, Jun 24, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

This should be of interest of anyone wating for a new iPod. Of note, it's not on a tuesday!!

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

no no no!!! i just got an ipod photo! this can't be!! ahh! not again! ...............................

at least give us a firmware update!!

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

think you might get one
    :rolleyes: video option maybe lol

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

even so.. can the photo's play back video if given a firmware update? and what video anyway? like only itunes music store videos?

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i read somewhere that the photo has the function already but it's not enabled .

you never know :)

6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Video on an ipod is a gimmic and Steve knows it.

Who in their right mind would really want to watch anything on that screen. If anything it would be music videos from the store, and then it would still be awful. If there was really a market for this, apple would make a pvr in a heartbeat. There just isn't really. The tech has been around for years, just noone cared.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree that viewing on the built in screen would suck, but one could hook it to the TV like one does when viewing photos. Then I can see it being useful for video.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

..and my birthday is July 9 :D new ipod or new DSLR camera... umm which one....

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Mine is February 17. Maybe a new revision of iMacs...? :D

Why do you guys dont like the idea of watching videos on the Photo's screen? Of course its not 30-inch Cinema Display, but great at showing some trailers or maybe home video to friends :)

10. hhlee macrumors 6502

what about for viewing music videos? even though the screen is small.... i'd be into that.

of course, they'd have to keep a steady flow coming ...

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I agree with you, but I know of "iPod haters" who always say, "iPods suck, they can't play movies".

Pretty lame to watch a movie on a 2" screen.

12. kerpow macrumors 6502

I read this thread and was terrified as I, too, have just bought an iPod Photo but your post makes perfect sense. I think we may see Quicktime on an iPod in the future but for small movie/music clips, a bit like 3G.

13. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

yeah guys i just don't wanna feel jipped for getting an ipod photo so recently.. i got jipped last time when i got the last of 3g's.. :(

14. gamestriker macrumors regular

I don't think we'll see an iPod video. If anything, they'll drop the Black-and-White 20GB iPod and the "photo" name, and the new 5G iPods will be the first all-color-display iPod line (20GB, 30GB, and 60GB), with even more battery life (18 hrs to match the iPod mini), and will have all the photo features. They will also finally drop the U2 iPod (as much as I love U2, it should have been gone a while back).

iPod mini line will likely stay the same. iPod shuffle will definitely get updated with all new 1GB and 2GB models, built-in LCD screen that displays the current song, and a new features along with new options in iTunes 4.9 that make the iPod shuffle + iTunes a winning combination (At least thats what I'm hoping :D ).

iTunes 4.9 will have the new Podcasting features and premium Podcast content available on the iTunes Music Store. New music video options in the Store as well, and a few new minor features that make iTunes 4.9, along with the new iPods, feel like the complete package that it is.

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

He posted it before you did :)

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

OH YOU GOT SERVED M*@^@!%)$*!

Uh, sorry, my head hurts...

17. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

As I've mentioned in an earlier discussion, I don't think the Shuffle will get any extra features or extra storage capacity, but I do think it's likely that it will get a facelift in order to keep it fresh and trendy.

If anything like what you describe happens, I think it is possible that they may introduce an all-new iPod product which would have a similar form factor to the Mini, but would have a 2Gb flash memory. It would be cheaper than a Mini, but would allow you to easily navigate the music stored on it. Unfortunately, I think that a product like this is unlikely in the immediate future because there currently isn't much difference in price between the 1Gb Shuffle and the 4Gb Mini, so it would be hard to slot something in between these two products at this point in time.

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

ohh...I digress. We used to say that so much in junior high, it was banned the next year. :D

19. gamestriker macrumors regular

I considered the "new product idea" as well but dimissed it for the same reasons, as well as the fact it would be much simpler and easier of Apple to come up with 2G shuffles with more storage, especially since the price of flash-memory has been dropping in double-digits (I believe AppleInsider noted a 40% drop in prices last year, no numbers on drops this year yet). As far as a facelift, I don't see how the could improve more on the 5-button design, other than an LCD screen, which also should not be hard for Apple. Another possibility would be doing different colors (white, black, light blue, and couple others), which would make them more fashionable, as with iPod mini.

But all in all, we can all agree that the shuffle will (and needs, I think) get some sort of update, since it has been losing ground in the market (it went from 58% to 52% according to recent reports.)