New Ipods and old macs...aka will the usb2 work on usb1 ports...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robbents99, Apr 28, 2003.

1. robbents99 macrumors regular

robbents99

Hiyas, question for the tech guys out there, two of my friends have old macs with no firewire, if they get the new Ipods can they use the Firewire/USB2 wires to connect to their old macs with their USB1 ports?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know, for sure

Hmmmm....

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

(4) USB 2.0 connection is for Windows PCs only; requires USB 2.0 + FireWire Cable and free software update (available in June).

& elsewhere

* USB 2.0 connection is for Windows PCs only; dock connector to USB 2.0 cable sold separately. USB 2.0 requires Internet download available in June.

3. robbents99 thread starter macrumors regular

robbents99

Greeat....

So anyone with an outdated Mac with no firewire is screwed, they have to get a new computer just to get an Ipod?

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

someone will figure that out i mean remember when NO MAC POD WAS Going to work on windows along came xpod and ehhpod.

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Re: New Ipods and old macs...aka will the usb2 work on usb1 ports...

how about answering they guys question
    yes usb 2 is backwards compatible with usb 1
    firewire 800 is not backwards compatible with firewire 400 unless you have an adapter

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Greeat....

um yeah, its been this way ever since the first ipods a year and a half ago. is this surprising to you, its called techonology, it gets better, you gotta move with it if you want the latest and greatest.

iJon

7. TMJ1974 macrumors member

OR..........

You could just get a USB PCI card.

8. MeanE macrumors newbie

Re: OR..........

Yep considering they are pretty darn cheap. Luckly my Nforce2 motherboard and my audigy both have firewire ;) Can't wait for my 30 giger.

9. cubist macrumors 68020

The USB adapter route might work, since we're only talking about hardware adaptation. It'll be slow at USB 1.1, but it may work acceptably. This would be an older iMac with no Firewire and no PCI slots, right?

I don't think I'd spend the money on the adapter thing, however. It's likely to cost at least $100. For $250 or so you should be able to buy a used iMac DV which has the Firewire connection. It's more money but (a) you know it'll work and (b) you can sell the old iMac to someone who doesn't care about iPod for the same price, making it cost-neutral.

10. robbents99 thread starter macrumors regular

robbents99

Yes. One is an old Imac Rev B and the other is a Toilet Seat Ibook, no firewire between either of them. The idea is not having to buy a new puter to get an ipod since the ipod has usb2, my thought is the usb 2/firewire wire for the peecee's could work on the old Macs......guess we'll find out tomorrow...