New iPods soon?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DTphonehome, Jun 5, 2006.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Anyone have any thoughts on when new iPods will drop? It's been a loooong time (10/05) since the 5G was introed, and even longer (9/05) since the nano. With this new Apple "buy a Mac, get a free iPod" promotion going on, I would expect no new iPods until it ends in September. But that's a REALLY long time to go without even a refresh. So do you think an update will happen before then? Are there any upcoming press or music events? I want in in this deal, but not if new 'Pods are imminent!

--DT

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

The general prediction around this and other rumor sites is that Apple will introduce a completely new product, a real-video iPod, next to the already existing iPod.

So, you'll have two seperate product lines developing - an all-audio iPod line, with the shuffle, nano, and possibly the larger iPod, and a video-orientated iPod line, with the "vPod", or "iVid", or whatever...

Past rumors on the next iPod have all been wrong - even Apple Insider, which has been pretty damn accurate lately, predicted that the MacBook would be released adjacent to a new iPod update.

We know something is in the works in terms of a coming video iPod release...but as for the next audio iPod, you'll probably be waiting until September-October. <Shrug> :confused:

3. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

I know about the vPod rumors, and that it'll be out later in the year (supposedly), but isn't a year a really long time for not even a HD bump in the "regular" iPod? The dates on the promotion seem to suggest that Sept is a likely time for an update, but damn, that's a LONG time!

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Use the 'Buyer's Guide' Tab - that's about as good as it gets...it should tell you how 'LONG' it's been ;) .

Personally, I wouldn't expect anything till around Fall...

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't expect a new ipod until november or October or late september. Christmas sales time. It doesn't make sense to launch one in august.

6. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

Don't expect an update until after the promotion runs out.

Re: updated iPods in general. Yes I agree that a long time has passed. But what would Apple be able to offer except larger capacity. In addition, these first 6 months have been all about the Intel transition. No need to confuse things with only a larger iPod. A new iPod will be released in plenty of time to create substantial buzz before Christmas.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

To everyone claiming there will not be an iPod update during this promotion:

The 4th gen iPod was released during this promotion in August of 2004.

So... yeah.

But they seem to enjoy using the promotion to kill off inventory of existing product to make room for a new one (iPod mini to Nano) so it could go either way.

8. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

Yep, it's a strategy that Apple uses a LOT. People will now rush to get their free nanos from this promotion, freeing up a lot of inventory space for potentially new products in the pipeline.

9. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

ohhhh yeah.... i didn't think about that. they currently have the free ipod promo for students... i bet they are making way for the next generation ipods...

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Tough to say. Apple has been buying up more flash memory, so on one hand you could expect a refresh to the line qute soon, albeit a minor one with capacity increrases and/or price drops. On the other hand, Apple is no doubt developing a true video iPod (widescreen, touch screen, etc.) which rumors have said is delayed, so we may not see this product until later in the fall.

And if that is indeed the case, I'd say that waiting another 4 months (or whatever it is) for an update is too long, so expect Apple to release something, even if it's just minor as I indicated above, in the next couple months.

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

has cram and jam started?

12. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

That's all I ask...just an update to get a little more value out of the promo. Not a whole new iPod. If they bump the 30GB up to 40, or the nano up to 8, and keep the prices where they are, I'd be happy.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think there is a good chance this will happen in the near future, but then again, what do I know. :eek: ;)

14. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067