Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phantommaul

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
istanbul,Turkey
hi, everyone expects an update to ipods soon, my question is when is it gonna come out and with what new features;

my expectations are;

better battery life,
changable batteries (not external),
integrated airport card for airport express,
and maybe video playback capabilities with tv out.

the last idea is not iPod like because apple always tries to limits the ipods boundries to majorly music but who knows...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Zaty said:
From a news bit about Apple being angry at Toshiba, we know that a 60 GB iPod is coming.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/74122/

It would make sense if Apple enabled WiFi on the Pods for use of AirTunes, although I doubt we'll already see that feature. A new, colour graphic interface would be cool.

if you like battery life you won't have wifi on an ipod. another thing is that can't 'enable' wifi, if isn't even on the ipod in the first place.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Given that they probably don't want to up the prices to much . . .

I would expect:

Colour screen
Ipod mini scroll wheel on all models
20, 40, and 60 (plus maybe a new mini at 5 or 6) at slightly less that current prices.
Some type of video out (maybe on screen video playback)
Optical sound out like the Airport Express
Aluminum casings

Expect it to support an external bluetooth module (from a third party manufacturer) and an external wifi module (also third party), a pared down version of iphoto and digital camera support directly from apple.

And a lot more car manufactures installing docks (but that has little to do with a new ipod.

Just my guess though . . . .

maxpayne.co.uk

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2004
London, UK
They had better not have the iPod mini scrool wheel. I thought it was too flimsy and sucked bigtime.

I do wish, however, that they have colour screens and a lot better bass on them.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
pdpfilms said:
Don't get your hopes up....but check out this link....

iSpec

Dreamy, huh?
That is SO awesome....

But as for what I'm hoping for in the new ipod:
- wireless connection to airport express
- wireless firewire (doubtful, but hey, I can hope)
- long battery life (a battery like the kind they have in the new sony hard drive player- then they can have a long battery life, and still fit in wireless things, while keeping the ipod thin)
- scroll wheel like that on the mini

I don't really care about video playback or colored creen sic, after all, it is a music player...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
If they add a removable battery, the iPod will get thicker, and that's not going to happen. When 1/10th of an inch matters to Apple, they're not going to go backwards and make it god knows how much thicker again... So no, there won't be removable batteries.

paul

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
dvdh said:
Optical sound out like the Airport Express
This is already there. You just need a dock in order to access the line out capabilities.

My predictions:

Color screen
More capacity
Better sound quality

I don't think we will see wireless, or video or anything like that. I hope that they open up the iPod for more third party stuff.

I would like to see a media card reader that when you plug the iPod in, it automatically opens iPhoto (like a camera) and you can view the photos on your color screen.

I think a feature like that would tie in very nicely with the whole digital hub idea behind the iLife and increase the utility of the iPod for those who care, without adding unecessary features for those who don't (since it would be a third party thing).

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Just thought of this. What about incorporating the WIFI into the dock? Then you can still access the Airport Express, but not need to unnecessarily increase battery consumption.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
kgarner said:
Just thought of this. What about incorporating the WIFI into the dock? Then you can still access the Airport Express, but not need to unnecessarily increase battery consumption.

but the entire point of wifi in the ipod itself, for me at least, would be that you could walk around the house, and still control the music coming out of your speakers. If I were to keep the ipod in the dock while controlling the music, I would just use my computer...

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
comictimes said:
but the entire point of wifi in the ipod itself, for me at least, would be that you could walk around the house, and still control the music coming out of your speakers. If I were to keep the ipod in the dock while controlling the music, I would just use my computer...

Okay, what about a WIFI remote, so you can leave the iPod in the dock and still control it. (Or maybe Bluetooth, but not very long range.) I just think that puting WIFI in the iPod would require too much battery power to be an attractive option. So you are probably right, just use the computer and play through iTunes.

stoid

macrumors 601
kgarner said:
Okay, what about a WIFI remote, so you can leave the iPod in the dock and still control it. (Or maybe Bluetooth, but not very long range.) I just think that puting WIFI in the iPod would require too much battery power to be an attractive option. So you are probably right, just use the computer and play through iTunes.

I'm almost certain that something like this already exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.